Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, technically she was a point of lay pullet.

She was the smallest and lightest, and occasionally would fly over the fence. I should have made the fence higher, but I was just waiting for her to get *that* much heavier so she would stop (the others don't). I'm wasn't terribly bothered by it anyway, I often would let the whole gang out to forage. At those times, though, I carefully keep the dog in.

I didn't see him kill her, but I found her dead last night as I was locking up the coop. If it had been another animal, she would have been eaten I'm sure.

I'm sad and mad.

·
Registered
300 Posts
what kind of dog do you have? my dad has a lassie collie and they seem to be pretty good with hens. His hens are fence-free and so far only one problem, and that was when the dog was a puppy and for now he seems to know who is boss and that hens are protected animals. that's sad, though.
I remember losing hens to dogs in the past.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I'm so sorry.
It's hard to lose your favorite chicken.

My coonhound almost got our birds one day when he hopped over the porch rails and ran out into the yard, but Big Momma, our golden comet hen, quickly rounded up all of the other chickens and then started flying up in the air attacking my dog's face with her claws! It was the funniest thing I have ever seen, at least to do with the chickens. He hasn't shown the slightest bit of interest in them since.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's a shepherd mix, a year old. An "Adult" dog, but still pea brained, I know. He's fairly well trained, and knows his place, but he still slinks around and makes trouble when he thinks he's not being watched.

The few times that he's been out when the chickens were out he chased them, but I was able to stop him AND get him to lie down off lead (which I thought was pretty darn good). Obviously, I was there to stop him, which I wasn't yesterday. I'd like to think one of the boys would have protected her, but they are just 20 week cockerels themselves, hardly full grown roos.

The rest are reasonably safe, I think. Unless he's really gotten blood lust in which case he could probably break into their pen. If it gets to that, I've have to make a permanent change in the situation.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I'm so sorry.
Last month all three of my chickens were killed by a neighbor's dogs and it was terrible. Like yours, they didn't even try to eat the birds, just killed them till they were dead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.