Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have excruciating ear pain during the last 15 minutes of landing. Does anyone know what I can do to stop this? I do the recommended things...chew gum, etc...is there something I can put in my ears?

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
For some people the only thing that works is to take a decongestant about 20 minutes before take off or landing.<br><br>
Hope someone else has better ideas.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks..i will be on a 9 hour flight...when should i take the decongestant?? about an hour before landing?? also, i found earplanes and bought some..they are plugs that block the pressure.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I found earplanes alone or a decongestant alone did not work for me. But combining the two works great. A bit of popping, but that's it. I'd do the decongestant an hour and a half before landing.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I have horrible ear pain just like you, in fact I landed in FL once and my ear drum had ruptured from all the pressure. I take Sudafed about an hour and a hald before landing. Also at the same time I start equalizing my ears very early. One that works great is to plug your nose and blow really hard. Its the only way I can get the pressure off. I do it every 5 minutes until I can feel it building and then do it non stop until we land. Also rub the gland directly behind your ear and guzzle water a few times. It can be a pin but is so much easier than the alternative.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts