Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6 years old and a storm of sensativity. I read thats normal. I hope it is. His pver sensative feelings are a weardown. Seriously downer. I asked him to draw a family picture, but he drew Angry Bird family picture. Thats fine but im making a necklace and asked for another picture of us. Boom storm of tears. I got told I hated his Angery Birds and he ripped it up before i could stop him. He was so upset 20 mins later he came in my room. I tried to explain that i loved his picture but needed something different for the necklace and boom tears of thunder and he stormed out angrily. He even said he hated his life.. at 6 years old. Soon he came back in drew a really nice picture and it worked for the necklace. Thrilled i let him know i live anything just needed a more specific picture. Im not sure about 6. I hope he wont be like this the whole time.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Try the book "your six year old" by Ames & Ilg. It's part of a series about child development that has been super helpful for me. The 6 yr old one saved my butt, though my marriage ended the same year my oldest turned 6 so it was all insanity, but omg that book was a revelation =)

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
I think all children are emotional and sensitive, and it gets expressed in different ways as they learn emotional regulation.

Everyone is different, but I think a lot parenting is choosing your battles. For example if he is drawing, that is art, and imo, he is probably just looking for some validation and encouragement. Suggestions on how to draw differently could very easily be perceived as disapproval. But a young child does not know how to even identify those feelings, let alone find the words to say what he is feeling.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...e-out-no-problems/475440/?utm_source=QuartzFB
I like this article.

Also, there is a principle (I think John Gottman who writes about relationships/marriage) of a 5:1 rule (or something like that), where healthy relationships have a ratio of 5 positive interactions (or bucket filling moments) for every 1 negative (bucket dippers). "Have You Filled Your Bucket Today" is a really great read for a child his age and you can use it to discuss ways to help each other feel like your bucket is being filled. Every now and then when I have a moment with dd where I am feeling disconnected or frustrated, I stop and ask myself "How many positive interactions have we had for this negative one?" Then I try to figure out something positive.....yet genuine (kids know when we are being real) to try to fill her bucket again.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
The word "but" used in a sentence. Usually it means, either to the speaker and/or the recipient, forget what I just said, now I'm going to tell you what I really mean. So, you said this: "I asked him to draw a family picture, but he drew Angry Bird family picture. Thats fine but im making a necklace and asked for another picture of us." What he did wasn't good enough. He's six. Does it really matter if that's what he drew? Do you want something that comes from his heart & is what he wants or what you want?

I do hope you will read some of the suggested books. From reading on the other threads you've posted on, I think practice in empathy for others will go a long way towards your relationship with your child as well as others.

All the best,
Sus

Reactions: alpenglow

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think all children are emotional and sensitive, and it gets expressed in different ways as they learn emotional regulation.

Everyone is different, but I think a lot parenting is choosing your battles. For example if he is drawing, that is art, and imo, he is probably just looking for some validation and encouragement. Suggestions on how to draw differently could very easily be perceived as disapproval. But a young child does not know how to even identify those feelings, let alone find the words to say what he is feeling.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...e-out-no-problems/475440/?utm_source=QuartzFB
I like this article.

Also, there is a principle (I think John Gottman who writes about relationships/marriage) of a 5:1 rule (or something like that), where healthy relationships have a ratio of 5 positive interactions (or bucket filling moments) for every 1 negative (bucket dippers). "Have You Filled Your Bucket Today" is a really great read for a child his age and you can use it to discuss ways to help each other feel like your bucket is being filled. Every now and then when I have a moment with dd where I am feeling disconnected or frustrated, I stop and ask myself "How many positive interactions have we had for this negative one?" Then I try to figure out something positive.....yet genuine (kids know when we are being real) to try to fill her bucket again.

Wow, the bucket idea sounds lovely! I'll try it.

:Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
6 years old and a storm of sensativity. I read thats normal. I hope it is. His pver sensative feelings are a weardown. Seriously downer. I asked him to draw a family picture, but he drew Angry Bird family picture. Thats fine but im making a necklace and asked for another picture of us. Boom storm of tears. I got told I hated his Angery Birds and he ripped it up before i could stop him. He was so upset 20 mins later he came in my room. I tried to explain that i loved his picture but needed something different for the necklace and boom tears of thunder and he stormed out angrily. He even said he hated his life.. at 6 years old. Soon he came back in drew a really nice picture and it worked for the necklace. Thrilled i let him know i live anything just needed a more specific picture. Im not sure about 6. I hope he wont be like this the whole time.
Hi Emily,

I know it's been a while, but I'm new to this forum. Would love to hear if anything has changed, did any of the tips work?

My sister has the same issue with mt 4yo nephew...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts