Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#1 nursed for 21 months. It did take a full 8 weeks for us to get into a grove but we did great. #2 nursed for 13 months. She nursed like a champ from birth and we did great. I never had any problems with cracked nipples, mastitis, or plugged ducts. So I was a bit cocky with #3.

She seemed to latch on pretty well at first. She had a really strong suck (just like #2) but I figured once my milk came in it wouldn't be a problem. I was wrong! She had a poor latch & was clicking. I caught it within the first week but the damage had been done. It looked like she had bit my nipples. The cuts were pretty deep & nursing was very painful.

But I continued to nurse thru the pain. I had to limit her to 10 min per side as that was all I could stand. She gained well (was 2 oz over birth weight at 12 days) but had green poops. She went thru her first growth spurt & almost constant nursing. It was killing me with the pain but I knew it was best for her. See, she has reflux & appears to be allergic to cow's milk (just like #1) so I knew that breast milk was our only option. I felt horrible when she would puke up blood tinged milk. It was the only way that I could heal.

Here we are at 7.5 weeks and my nipples are almost healed. Actually a few more weeks and they will be back to normal. I can now let her nurse as long as she wants on each side so she's getting more hind milk. It still hurts a little bit but nowhere near as bad as before. I'm anticipating a long nursing relationship.

I just wanted to share my experience so other moms will see that nursing thru the pain is the best thing to do. I was doubtful that it would work but time & nursing healed me.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
bethany, I can't believe no one responded to this! I'm looking through posts for support for my cracked (???) nipples, and I totally needed to hear that story. I've been battling thrush and these nipples the past week, and now the thrush is gone, but my cracks/cuts/??? are worse. I guess I just need to be patient. I keep applying neosporin and all the rest of the stuff I have for treating my thrush! DD is 17m, and I never thought I'd have problems at this point. Thanks for posting your success, and you are such an awesome mama for having the strength to sacrifice for your daugher.

A huge
to you!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts