Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month, my dh's whole, large family got together at a restaurant for his grandmother's 80th b-day. It was a long lunch, about 4 hrs. Several times during the lunch, dh's cousin nursed her baby under a blanket. She was struggling to keep the blanket up. A couple of times, she put her own head under the blanket and came out looking sheepish because she knew her hair was messed up. The last time she nursed, the blanket slipped off. In her attempt to keep the blanket up, she dropped it and went scrambling for it. In the process, her breast was completely exsposed and she nearly dropped her dd.<br>
I nursed my dd 4x during the lunch. I simply lifted my shirt. Later, when dh's cousin and I were talking, she asked me when I weaned my dd. I told her I hadn't, dd had nursed during lunch. She said she hadn't seen me do it.<br>
My point is that a blanket or covering does not necessarily equal discreet.<br><br>
Also, I'd like to tell you about a woman at my ds's gymnastics class. She nurses her baby with her breast not covered at all. She faces the rest of the parents and everyone talks casually. Not one single person expresses discomfort or complains. It is just normal. An unremarkable part of life. She is my hope for the future.<br><br>
My advice to nursing mothers - Do what you need to do to be comfortable. Do what makes it easiest to feed your child.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I completely agree with you. I've been nursing off and on (mostly on) for the last 3+ years. I have yet to have anyone say anything to me, and trust me I'm ready if they do! I've nursed on the West coast, the East coast and many states in between. I've never used a blanket, and still I don't think that I'm always perfectly covered, but most people just aren't expecting you to be nursing. They just think the baby's sleeping.<br><br>
So, the moral is NURSE YOUR BABY! Nurse wherever and whenever your baby is hungry! Nurse proudly and unabashedly! Nurse, Nurse, Nurse!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts