Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently shopping for my first breast pump so I have it on hand when the baby comes. I want something inexpensive, but good in quality. I've heard great things about Medela pumps, and am trying to choose between Medela Harmony ( here )
and the Avent Isis ( here )
The ratings are pretty high for both on the website, but I wanted to come and ask the experts!
I am planning on exclusive breastfeeding and will be staying at home, so I only expect to pump on very rare occasions.
Have any of you mommas used either of these? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Hi there. Both of these pump are great. I myself had the avnet isis one.

But I am still going to put in my vote for the Medela Harmony. reason....

I work at a shop that just opened up. It is a pregnancy etc shop. We had a rep from Medela come by and show us all of their stuff. I was very impressed by the Harmony. It has two settings. If you push forward on the pum part you get a flutter type sucking motion just like when you are nursing a baby. They do the flutter suck to get the milk flowing then they start the gulp type sucking. So you push back on the regular pump part after the milk starts to flow.

But really...both are good pumps.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I used the Avent one last baby and it worked well enough, I didn't have any problems with it. The Medela looks great too. Something I would consider would be the bottles. It looks like you could use any kind of bottle on the Medela, but would need to purchase the Avent bottles for the Isis pump (it does come w/ one or 2). Also you would be able to easily and cheaply change nipples on a regular bottle until you find one that your baby prefers. I don't know how well other brands of nipples work on the Avent bottles and they don't have a big selection of different types.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have the avent isis and preferred it to several hospital type pumps that I rented. If I had to do long term full time pumping I would probably go electric though (although I think they now have an electric version of the isis?). Re: bottles, I use regular bottles, I just pump into the avent bottles then transfer the milk before refrigerating. (I didn't like the avent nipples so used a different bottle system.)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I hated my Avent Isis.. I LOOOOOVEEEEEEEE my Medela Harmony!!! Its inexpensive, its easy to use, easy to clean.... Sooo nice!! And I get sooo much when I pump with it.. With my Medela Pump In Style Advanced I dont get much when I pump?!?! LOL.. Im weird I suppose but I looveeeee my Harmony and I paid like $35 for it at Babies R Us.. or maybe it was $40.. but either way, pretty cheap!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I had the isis w/ my last and it worked well but this time I have a hospital grade medela lactina but if i were to buy one i would prbaly buy the harmony ( i have been very happy w/ them ) then again because i know they are both good i may just buy the cheaper of the 2

1 - 10 of 10 Posts