Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hubby bought me a 5X5 garden box, which I have been dying for for months. The box is separated into 4 squares and comes in two pieces so we can actually have 8 squares to grow crops in.

Here's the question: given the fact that's June, where are some good veggies to plant?

I'm thinking of starting with some already-grown tomato plants and then do seeds of everything else. my plan to switch my crops out seasonally so we will have tons of root veggies in the fall harvest.

Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Switching out crops is a super idea. In the south in the spring you should be able to get herbs going quite early and leafy plants like kale, lettuce, collards, & broccoli going into the late fall. Also you can interplant, which is what I started doing based on ancient/traditional ag methods, so plant root crops like carrots or squash with fruit/seed crops like corn in the same space. You do need to be sure your soil is good in order to grow "2 crops in the space of 1" so-to-speak. Also water thoroughly (but let dry somewhat between waterings). Kale and onions I've found will intermix with almost any other food crop.

If you are going to plant seeds this "late," check the "days til harvest" guidelines on the seed pack to let you know how long until the plants mature. My peas are maturing quickly and since they grow up onto strings I have bush cucumbers interplanted with them. The peas are maturing about 45 days since I planted them, which is what the seed pack said they would.

Putting in plants this late is a good idea too, especially tomatoes since they can be used green if they don't mature fully by the end of the season.

Enjoy your new garden! :smile:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts