Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I'm planning a homebirth in March. I have had two hospital births and I think we'll be fine. I had minor tearing with my second nothing at all like my first.</p>
<p>I'm hoping to rent a Birthpool so i can have the water for relaxation. But i can't help but wonder and worry. I need to talk to my midwife about the possible worries. I want to not be scared and fearful. But I was like this with my hospital births too! I worry about about everything all the time.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I need some inspiartaion to help get me through this right now. I have no desire to go to the hospital, they regualry fill up here and have to transfer you all over the place. I really envision a nice peaceful home birth with out the stress of running to the hospital.. I have quick births first was 10 and second was five hours... this is from start to having baby in arms.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I want to be at home I want to have a homebirth. But people keep telling me all the bad things that can happen which really doesn't help me not to worry. I know the risks but continually hearing about them doesn't help me cope with them</p>

·
Registered
331 Posts
<p>My advice would be to definitely arm yourself with facts (not that you need to debate everyone you meet, but it's good to know this stuff just for yourself). Surround yourself with positive homebirth stories, but also make yourself aware of exactly what happens in birth so you also know what to watch out for (your midwife will obviously help you in this area, but I found that for my own peace of mind, I wanted to be aware of this stuff as well).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>To start, I'd recommend watching <em>The Business of Being Born</em> and reading Jennifer Block's <em>Pushed</em> and <em>Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth</em>. Those resources will really help start feeling confident with homebirth both emotionally and logically, and they will give you lots of good information for discussing your choice. I would also encourage your partner/SO to read <em>The Birth Partner Handbook</em>, which will help them prepare and understand how to help you through labor.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm sure others who are more experienced than I will jump in with boatloads of advice as well, but I just wanted to share the things that have been most helpful for me and my DH so far!</p>

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>The only book I haven't read that you suggested in Pushed.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm very aware of birth and how it all works. That is in some ways my problems. I have a tendacy to go over board with research. I'm trying to aviod a lot of excess this time. I'm a big reader on things that worry me. I'm also pretty big on following my intuition. I know I can do this but .... well that my problem is the but..... I have a lot of but what if this happens</p>

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
<p>I agree that you need to distance yourself from negativity.  I wish I were in your position - having experienced successful normal birth before planning a homebirth, but that's not my fate.  Be confident in your body and in your baby!!!! =)  And yes, follow your intuition.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I like Mac & Cheese's suggestions.  If you're looking for more inspirational reading, then perhaps Gaskin's "Spiritual Midwifery?"  And just read tons of HB stories.  A lot of women post video on YouTube as well.</p>

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
<p>Hm, maybe try some relaxation exercises then to help calm anxieties? I've heard Hypnobabies is really great for relaxation throughout pregnancy too. Since you certainly don't need a whole CB course, since you're already educated about birth, you could do the home-study. I've heard it's great.</p>

·
Registered
10,706 Posts
<p>I can second the suggestion for Hypnobabies.  I haven't actually used it for a birth but it's very relaxing for pregnancy.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you do like to read (or can't help it) maybe you could skip the pregnancy/birthing stuff for now and read some sweet books on infant care.  Or, maybe you can focus on nesting energy and plan some crazy project that will distract you.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you're going to have your DCs with you at the birth it could be fun to research really sweet HB stories and videos.  They may even be nice for you to watch on your own.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>And, talking to your MW is sure to help.  I decided, at 22 weeks, to unload a bunch of stuff on my MW this last meeting.  It was nice to share some feelings and get a better bond with her.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck to a worry free rest of your pregnancy.  </p>

·
Registered
383 Posts
<p>:hug You can and you will have an awesome homebirth if that's what you want! I second the others suggestions. I'm expecting my third and had a fabulous birth with my second. However, I am also feeling a lot of anxiety towards this birth because I don't think it will be as easy as my last. I also tend to read too much and had to start limiting myself early on. It definitely helped. I started hypnobabies home study course a few weeks ago and it has been SO much help. The affirmations are fabulous and I'm feeling so much better about the entire situation. I urge you to give it a try!</p>

·
Registered
215 Posts
<p>I too have had two hospital births and hated them. Really wish I had listened to my gut and stayed home with my second! Not that anything went horribly horribly wrong at the hospital, other than them not letting me move at all from the bed, needing drugs that made me feel sick, having those painful monitor belts around your belly, and finally <strong>BOTH TIMES, Not once but twice</strong> having them hold my baby's head in and screaming at me not to push because the doctor wasn't there yet!! Ridiculous!!!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>When you think of all the things you DONT want to happen to you that happened at the hospital, that is inspiration enough to STAY HOME!!!</p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts