Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I think that was around the age I first got it from a doctor, with my first daughter. It wasn't accusing, but surprised.

·
Registered
870 Posts
DD is 13 months and I don't intend on stopping nursing in public any time soon. In fact she has been sick and wanting to nurse all the time...we were grocery shopping for an hour or more yesterday and she spent a good portion of that in the sling attached to the boob.

I figure the more people see us nursing the better, it is my little way of trying to normalize nursing beyond infancy.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I stopped nursing my twins in public around 18 months b/c they insisted on nursing together and it became quite an acrobatic spectacle with two active toddlers. (I was less worried about showing a nipple - or two -than I was about flashing some unsuspecting person my terrifying "twin skin" on my belly. I'm terribly self-conscious about my belly. LOL!)

Congrats on nursing twins . . . you've done great!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Great job!! I have nursed my boys in public up to age 2 1/2 for my singleton and 12 months for the twins. It is just really hard to nurse twins in public without causing a big scene (and I'm just not out as much with them!!).

Actually, I just got pictures back from a trip we took last month and I am nursing them on the sidewalk, waiting for a bus!! So, I have NIP until they are 21 months old!! (Just goes to show how tired I am, I had forgotten!!)

My Ped was making comments from birth. I just roll my eyes at her and say, "yeah, and I just love doing all the dishes and laundry that formula causes. . .I have better things to do."

Others have commented, but only in Montana. Washington seems to be more nursing friendly. (or perhaps I hang out with in the different locations?)

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
When I interviewed my family doctor (DS's ped) while I was still pregnant, one of the questions I asked was how long she recommends breastfeeding. She said she recommends "at least a year, and 2 years if possible" ...

... but then when I took him in for a well baby visit at 15 months, she looked at me funny and said "you're STILL breastfeeding?"

Anyway, we're still going strong at 18 months.

·
Registered
444 Posts
tomigotchi - she probably never had anyone take her up on that advice!

I stopped NIP around 13 months - ds isnt a very good nurser anymore, he still does, but seems to play around more than nurse when in public - it leave me exposed and him not drinking but looking at everyone else!! If he needed to I would, but it wasn't very successful anymore....I miss it!!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Oops, I missed the actual question!
Linda Margaret is just over three years old, and I will NIP her when she wants to if we can find somewhere to sit down. Or not. We were in Home Depot this weekend and I was carrying her around nursing her for a short time. Only a short time, though; she's too darned heavy!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Isn't that crazy? I can understand (not that I would agree with it) if the child was old enough not to still *need* milk in order to survive, but otherwise what are people thinking? No, I stopped nursing my baby and let them starve to death??? I stopped nursing in public with my first when it was no longer and absolute medical necessity for survival.. however with my second and third I kept NIP after talking to and meeting so many women who made the choice to bottle feed breastmilk or use a substitute solely because they had never seen other mothers breastfeeding.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I stopped nip when i stopped breastfeeding 14 mths with dd1, 11 1/2 mths with ds dd2 is 20 mths and still going strong and i will nip untill she stops asking for it when we are out

·
Registered
254 Posts
DD is 15 months, and we RARELY nip because she won't! She hasn't in months and she'll be starving but can't pay attention to the boob cause everything else is SOOOO neat lmao.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I got a few comments early on (between 1 and 2), but I still nurse DD in public (on the bus, etc.) and no one has said anything in a long time--though this annoying old guy who was trying to prostelyze to us got up and moved to the back of the bus last week.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I got alot of those when I was nursing my son (he was 2 when he weaned). I'm sure I'll get lots of them once everyone realizes that I'm pregnant...but I'll keep NIP until my children wean!! (I plan on tantem nursing)

If you don't do it...no one will think it's normal

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have started to feel uncomfortable to NIP
. My DD is 14 mo and I have been putting her off when she wants to NIP now that she is getting older. I feel bad about it and go to the car or somewhere I am comfortable nursing. We went out for dinner on Tues and we were sitting at a table in the middle of the restaurant and I just could not bring myself to nurse her there. If we were in a booth I would have...she just pops on and off constantly and gets so happy nursing she makes these adorable screeching sounds, which can sure cause a scene
. At the restaurant there were extra chairs outside the restrooms and I nursed her there but the whole time I was wishing I could just muster the confidence to do it at the table!
It helps to hear all you strong mamas NIP!

·
Registered
852 Posts
We don't usually nurse in public now (my 3 yo I mean) but will if necessary. If something traumatic happens. She doesn't really ask when we're out any more.

I did have an experience at the ER last weekend. Unfortunately had to rush my 3 yo in due to reactive airway flare up. Terrifying. She, of course, wanted to nurse. I, of course, nursed her while waiting in chairs, while waiting in the curtain area. No one said anything (smart smart people) until..... this older man (tech) came to take us for a chest x-ray. Opened the curtain and saw that I was nursing (discreetly, I'll add. I wear nursing clothing)-- he said "oh oh. Oh my god" and ran out and closed the curtain. He stood on the other side and said "just uh let me know when you're ready".

This was a HOSPITAL for goodness sake. I can't believe he hasn't seen booby before.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thirdchild View Post
If you don't do it...no one will think it's normal

: Exactly. If I do this now, by the time she has kids, no one will think twice about it.

We've had it happen that we've gone out for food and she's gotten hungry while waiting for a table (and of course, no seats in the waiting area). So I get to be secretly amused by people gawking at me holding a large latched toddler in the waiting area -- which gets really amusing when our table is ready and I don't unlatch her to go over there.
I'm helping to demonstrate normal toddler feeding habits.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.