Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now what? I heard you're supposed to wash them before you try them out? Somebody want to just bump a post even??

I have 12 unbleached cotton prefolds (bought) and 3-4 prowraps in my son's current size. (donated to the cause of getting another mama to try cd's) I also have 2 fitted/PUL cover sets coming soon. (e-bay)
So......what do I need to do so I can try them out???

(To those I didn't buy from this time, I'll have more dipe budget again soon!
)

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody
I REALLY want to do this..................

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
Did you buy the prefolds new or used?

If you bought them used, you might want to wash them once before you use them.

If you bought them new, you have to wash them (and dry in between) several times to strip them of their natural coating. When I got my ubcpf's I had to wash them 6 times in very hot water before they would absorb as soon as the water hit it. With my ipf's, it was more like 8 or 9 times.

If you trust that the covers are clean and ready to use, then don't worry about washing them (you got them from a friend right?).

If any of your used diapers are not absorbing well, then you may need to strip them. This gets out detergent build-up. You wash the diapers in very hot water (no detergent) and check the washer when it agitates. When there are no more suds during the agitate cycle, you can dry them and use them.

HTH!

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks! The CPF's are new. How will I know when to quit washing and drying??

·
Registered
892 Posts
I test mine by taking a nasal bulb syringe with water in it -- I squeeze the water out (with the tip right on the prefold -- like it would be if a baby peed)... it it absorbs right away, its ready -- if it beads up AT ALL, I'd wash again -- just because I had some indian prefolds that did that to me -- DD was soaked in the middle of the night -- jammies and bed -- but the diaper was bone dry.

Oh, and I can vouch for your ebay fitteds being completely clean.
The covers have never been used, either, so they may be good to go. If your son is sensitive to certain detergents, then by all means, please wash them!

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What detergent can I use? The 'normal' detergents in this house are Dreft for baby laundry and all the towels, and Tide (plain old regular) for adult clothes.

Can I use one of those, or do I need to go buy something else??

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'd use the plain ole' Tide -- just use 1/4-1/2 of the recommended amount. I used Purex for a while, and only used 1/4 or 1/3 of the cap with the diapers. Now, I use about 1/16 cup of Melaleuca detergent...

Anyways... just use the tide. I think I remember seeing Dreft on a list of no-no detergents for diapers -- but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

and meritodd--no ebay dipes here yet, but I really don't *expect* them till maybe sat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.