Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just looked at the tag on my new FB and they are made in Mexico?!! Okay, I don't mind paying all the $$ for those diapers, or a made in USA product it makes sense.... but where is the $$ going in Mexico?

Does anyone have any input?

And
: sorry if this has been discussed before.

Meg

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
It was posted in the "Activism" section a while ago, I believe.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yes, they most certainly are now made in Mexico. Although you won't find anything on their website about it. And the price of FBs is now almost $18 (I remember when I bought my FBs, they were $15...), AND many stores are having trouble keeping them stocked (due to "high demand").

There was another thread where someone was asking for FBs alternatives here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=687143

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
I don't want to go all activist in the diapering forum (I don't go to the activism section but I did see this one when it was popped to the front page) but I saw this too. And personally, I would rather support something locally made or even wahm made (tries not to get back on her happy heinys - now with snaps - soap box).

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post
Does anyone know if they're Fair Trade?
According to a post made by someone who says they are an employee of MOE (in this thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=687143)
the company doing the manufacturing is MFI, and this factory is located in Cd. Juarez, Mexico. Apparently this company is better than most in the same city, for example they provide transportation to and from work (Cd. Juarez, if you do a little research, is a city where women are often abducted and killed when walking to and from their jobs in the factories)...but I don't know that they are "Fair Trade" officially or not...

This company, MFI, also manufactures products for Boppy and Evenflo...sounds to me like FBs are trying to make CDs a more mainstream product? Although I have heard rumors that the quality is suffering in the Mexican-made FBs, so we'll see how that goes...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Bummer. I was thinking of breaking my WAHM made rule to get the new girly print, but I guess I won't now.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Well, I now have a new reason for boycotting FBs. I was actually on the fence about the Mexico thing, but ooh did they (MOE/FB) tick me off last week! You can PM me if you want to know details. I think posting it here would be a UA violation.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Harumph.
I really wanted someone to assure me that this change was okay, and that the ladies in Mexico were putting down payments on great houses with the money they are making sewing these fancy diapers.

Okay, off to check out the thread in activism. Sorry if I should have posted this thread there.

And I will look at the Heiny's with snaps- but I don't like the way the seams work with Heinys; I like the FB style better.

Oh, and FWIW, I have spent some time looking at the FB's made in the USA and the ones made in Mexico and I really can't tell a difference. And trust me, I've been looking.

Meg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.