Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She was such an amazing woman -- I fell in love with her and her husband right after DH and I started dating. Our son is named after my GFIL. They loved each other so much -- I've always wanted for DH and I to be like them when we get older. In 13 years of dating/being married to DH, I've never seen them pass each other in a room without making physical contact -- clasping hands, patting each other's bottoms, rubbing each other's backs, etc. They celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary last weekend, and were still so tender with each other.

And she was so funny! Mixed in among her spices with the usual labels (rosemary, thyme, etc.) were two spice bottles labelled "opium" and "heroin." We have the most beautiful picture of her and her husband when they were dating, wearing the most fabulous 1930s swimsuits and walking along a beach boardwalk. Their bodies aged, but their love, strength, and humor only grew.

She was so quick-witted, and up until last month she was so healthy, happy, and full of life and love. Then, a month ago, she fell -- just slipped in her house and sat down hard on her bottom -- something that any of us would just stand up from, and maybe have a bit of a sore tailbone. But for her, it was a devastating injury. She cracked two vertebrae, underwent rehab and physical therapy to no avail, and ended up bedridden and just faded.

She passed away around noon today, at home in bed, holding the hands of her husband and her daughter. Just the way we all say we want to go, but the world got a little bit dimmer when she died.

·
Registered
998 Posts
aw. i am so so sorry to hear that. it's so tragic, even when they're aged, when they are such bright characters. it's hard to lose those we love, and she sounds like a very bright spirit. may you and your dh's family find peace and strength in each other during this difficult time.

·
Registered
792 Posts
How lucky you were to have her in your life! I can see how much you loved her. I hate how trite it sounds, but I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing someone we love always seems to leave this awful empty place inside that never gets filled. Keep your memories bright, and when you feel that hole inside you- toss in a happy memory. *hugs*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.