Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My S'ang came into the world on our bedroom floor at the foot of our bed at 1:30 in the morning on May 12.<br><br>
I have been having contractions for almost a week, but I consider labour to officially begin when I lost my mucous plug on Friday morning at five. The night before we had an appointment with Jeanne, our midwife and went to eat Indian food. I had Baigan Baratha (spl) to help encourage labour. On the way home, I remember the contractions being more intense. We went to bed around midnight to ensure that we would be well rested just in case labour would begin. Sure enough it did.<br><br>
I woke up several times that night because of my contractions. I got up to use the restroom and saw that I a bit of plug. I was very excited, but I knew I had to go back to bed. I tried to lay down in the bedroom, but couldn't. So I moved into the other bedroom. The sound of the rain kept me from sleeping, except at the time I was thinking who the hell was mowing their lawn at five in the morning. I went to the window and saw it was the rain on the tin roof, so I moved to the living room. I was able to sleep maybe an hour on the couch and then moved to our bedroom.<br><br>
We got out of bed at around 7:30, after Desi woke up. I called Kerry, our doula and then Jeannie to let them know I was in early labour. Then I set an appointment with our chiropractor so that I could get my body aligned for birthing. After the chiropractor, we went to the store for groceries. I had to stop every once in a while in the aisles to relax. After we got home, I went to tell our neighbor that she was officially on call for Desi. I stayed down and we took the girls out while Fred went to get me dolma. We went to the swings. During contractions I used the hang bar to sway and squat, which I found to relieve them. The girls were getting restless, so we went back inside. Fred still wasn't back yet. While I was waiting, I crawled on my hands and knees while the girls followed me. It was so cute.<br>
When Fred came, I ate some dolma and then we went outside to swing again. This time I found sitting on the swings and swaying helped more. It was getting hot and Desi was hungry so we went in to feed her and then put her down for her nap. At this point my contractions were four minutes apart and a minute long.<br>
I watched Lost (which happened to have a scene where a woman birthed naturally in the woods). I had to hit pause at each contraction because it was so intense. Kerry called just as the show ended and I asked her to go ahead and come. While Fred and I waited, we walked around the house a bit and I would lean on him and we would sway together during contractions. They were sitll coming at the same intervals..<br><br>
Kerry arrived at around 2:30. We did more walking and swaying, then I moved to the computer chair while Fred would kneel so I could lean on him. I found sitting on the birth ball to much pressure. I ended up on my hands and knees while Kerry did some massage on my lower back. This was when Desi woke up from her nap. I could tell she was a little worried. We reassured her that everything was okay and that baby was coming. We moved to the living room with the chair again. Eventually, it was time to take Desi downstairs. My contractions were still coming at the same intervals, but they were becoming more intense. Kerry took her downstairs while I laboured on Fred.<br><br>
I was beginning to get more irritable. I wanted to know where the midwives were. I had Fred call them. I wanted to get in the water, and Jeanne had said I couldn't get in the water until I was 6 cm. They said they were on the way still. Eventually I couldn't hold out anymore. We filled the tub in the bathroom and I just pretty much dived in at the same time they came. I told them that I couldn't wait. *Later, Anna tells me that when the midwives came, Desi said "Holy crap my midwives are here," and insisted on coming upstairs.* They said it was okay. They checked the baby's heart rate which was a steady 140. Then I asked to check dialtion. I was at an 8!!!! That was the best thing I heard. At each contraction I sunk into the water. Then I thought it was time to push. Looking back, I pushed to early. Nothing was happening, so Jeannie suggested me moving to the birthing stool. Nothing still so she thought it was my waters getting in the way. She broke it and I felt some relief. I still wasn't able to push right. We moved in the bedroom where we tried several positions. At one point, my body took over. Now it was really time to push because my body would correct my direction of pushing. It is an amazing feeling. Jeanne helped stretch the last lip and I think this helped.<br>
Everything blurs together at this point. I remember trying to birth on the bed first with me laying down and them holding my legs. Then on the birthing stool. Then with a supported squat. Then on my hands and knees while someone squeezed my hips together. I don't remember the order of these positions. I just remember ending up on the bedroom floor while they held my knees. It took many contractions it seemed to get the baby past my pubic bone. They got the mirror out to encourage me. At first it wasn't helping because I couldn't see anything. But then I saw a head! I could see my body moving the head forward! It was just amazing to feel my body take over my pushing. I would start in back, and then it would move it forward somehow. I remember them feeding me maple syrup, blue cohosh and emergency C between contractions to give me a boost. I remember them checking the baby's heart rate at each contraction too to make sure the baby was tolerating it. It was a steady 140 each time, except a couple of times it went to 168 but it went back to 140. I remember sticking my tongue up almost to mimick where my body should push the baby's head, like a U. I remember thinking, just one more contraction and the baby will be pass my pubic bone. I think this helped me a lot to get to my goal as well. When the head stayed in view, I remember coaxing my baby to come out. "Baby, come out." Fat Bastard was telling me, "Get out of my belly!" as well. Finally the baby's head crowned. It was amazing that my body could still push despite the feeling of being stretched all the way. Jeannie pulled on the baby to guide the head out. I don't remember when it felt good, but when the baby slid out, it was the most wonderful feeling. I kept saying, "Oh my god" over and over again. Then after I heard the baby's cry, I knew I did it. I said, "My baby" and "We did it!" over and over again. I wasn't able to nurse the baby right away because the cord was too short. Fred went downstairs to get Desi to meet Baby Orange. WE wanted Desi to tell us the sex, but she was too sleepy. It was actually Jeanne's idea. I didn't even realize that we didn't know the sex yet. I just knew that we had a baby!!!! Fred announced it. It was a boy. His son. He ran to play, "Here Comes the Sun" Nina Simone's version.<br><br>
I later found out that I pushed for five hours, and that the baby's head was tilted to the side. I had a third degree tear. This is why it took so long to write my birth story. I can't sit on my bottom for too long.<br><br>
We did not come up with the name until Sunday morning. His name is Bodhi Em Douglas. Bodhi means awakening or enlightenment. I call him S'ang. It means morning in Vietnamese. It is pronounced with a short a sound. The name came to me while he was still in the womb. I have been drawing the baby as the sun or enveloped in an orange aura for my birth art. Desi has been calling him "Orange Baby" while he was in the womb and his song is "Here Comes the Sun." It seems like the family decided separately that he is our sun, our morning and our awakening So I find the nickname and his name to fit him perfectly.<br><br><a href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...irthDay193.jpg" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...irthDay193.jpg</a><br><a href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...yBoy2Small.jpg" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...yBoy2Small.jpg</a><br><a href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...irthDay177.jpg" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...irthDay177.jpg</a><br><a href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...irthDay189.jpg" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...irthDay189.jpg</a>

·
Registered
223 Posts
What a beautiful HBAC story- your pics aren't working for me though! Very encouraging to me... thank you for sharing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts