Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so sad and heartbroken over something I witnessed last night. I don't know where to put this but since it involves discipline I am putting it here. Actually the situation didn't warrent discipline but the mother apparently thought it did.

I was leaving Target at 9:20 pm last night and walking in front of me was a little boy, about 3, with what appeared to be his Grandma with his mother a little bit in front of them. I was thinking about how late it was for this little guy and about how tired he must be. At that moment he kind of "tipped over" and fell to his knees in the parking lot. His Gma was trying to pull him up and he was starting to fuss and cry. I was thinking "Oh my gosh, he is just so tired." His mother came over and picked him up, hit him on the bottom and started to yell at him.

She drug him over to the car, he was crying, and strapped him in the carseat and hit him three or four more times, all the while screaming at him "Don't do this to us!!! You are going right to bed when we get home, do you hear me?" I could hear the little guy crying and saying "Yes, I hear you" The Gma said nothing and just got into the backseat.

It reminded me of that video a few years ago of the woman beating her daughter in the Walmart parking lot while she was strapped into her car seat.

I know the mother saw me looking at them. But I don't know what I could have done.

I am just crying inside for that little guy. That poor, sweet baby. A mother who beats him and screams at him and a Grandmother who sits by and says nothing.

Why couldn't that mother just scooped him up and kissed him and said, "I know you are tired, you have been so patient and such a good boy. Lets get you home and tucked into bed."

What chance does he have? Doesn't she realize he is a gift?

Last night I prayed for him and then today in church I tried to pray for his mother. I prayed that she will look at his little face and realize that she is reacting in anger. That he deserves better.

I look at my DD and just cannot imagine treating her like that.

I am so sad.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
That is absolutely horrible, but please do not assume that because it is 9:30 a child must be tired. We frequently go shopping at 12 a.m. or later with all three children. Every family keeps a different schedule.

That definitely deserved a call to the police. I would have gotten their license plate number and called 911.

·
Registered
102 Posts
that's so awful. i'm sorry you witnessed it. ever since dd was born, i notice things that disturb me so often(never that bad). it makes me so sad for the child but it often makes me think of the state of the world. where would we all be if we all had loving mamas?

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I have stuck my nose in several sitauations when I have seen what I thought was abuse.

Once was in a supermarket and a mother was hitting her young son. I told her if she didn't stop I was calling the cops. She yelled at me and told me to mind my own business....I followed her around the market until she left!! I don't care...yell at me. You hit your kid in front of me and I WILL MAKE TROUBLE FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!

If I had seen that Target thing happening I would have told the woman that I have her license plate and I would be calling the police on her. Some people do not derserve to be parents

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.