Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran into someone I know having a baby soon. She is really nice, wants a natural birth, very into family, plans to homeschool, breastfeed, even use cloth diapers. I asked about circ. They plan to do it!!! I almost couldn't believe my ears. They don't know what they are having, but I tried to tell her the reasons not to do it. I don't think they really researched it just by talking to her. When she said they would do it my reart started racing and I felt almost faint. I only hope what I said got thru and she does research it more. I can't imagine why she would!!! I'm so suprised. But how do I get better at explaining it when I get so upset?

· Registered
638 Posts
If she is really into all that other stuff, she sounds like she could be shown the light on circ as well, so to speak. Maybe browse around here and plot out an email starting along the lines of, if youre very interested in x, y, z , you should also educate yourself on circumcision. And give her some starter info. Youve gotta good shot I bet.

· Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did tell her to come here, and I hope she will. I told her how its done, strapping down, how it is painful, about the shots for pain relief being painful, how the US is really the only country doing it, that even aap says it is cosmetic, and a few other things. But I was SOOOOO nervous as I was telling her. I HATE that, I want to be calm and comfident about it. But it is really hard for me and I don't know why. I told her to come and real the regret thread too. Man I really hope she researches it.
One thing she mentioned was that some research showed that it was actually less painful on the eight day. Any one ever hear of such a thing?

· Registered
1,469 Posts
How to get better at explaining 'it' under stress:

Great question!

I carry these little 3X5 blue cards with me in my purse EVERYWHERE I go.

This is what they say:

http://www.luckystiff.org/files/6-UpWrong.pdf or

http://www.luckystiff.org/files/6-UpLucky.pdf

You can print them out at home on some blue card stock or at Office Max

Maybe you can have a standard 1 sentence response ready to grab their attention, like "Circ is harmful and it hurts. The AAP doesn't recommend it anymore" Then give them the card and ask them to read more about it before they do it. Tell them there are lots of good resourses online that are really informative & educational!

make sure to steer them to: www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org

· Registered
1,469 Posts
Quote:
One thing she mentioned was that some research showed that it was actually less painful on the eight day. Any one ever hear of such a thing?
That's interesting. That's the day that jewish children have a bris. Where on earth did she hard that? My response to that ridiculous statement is this:

On the first day of birth, children have nerves in their penis, on the 2nd day of life they still have nerves in their penis, on the 3rd day, the nerves are still there, and on the 4th day? Get my drift?

There are so many damn lies out there to cover up circ pain! It really tics me off!!!!!

There is no such research & i doubt she could provide it to you. Someone Jewish probabally told her that. Many Mohels perpetuate that myth to parents who are concerned about Bris pain.

· Registered
4,390 Posts
Maybe she is confused. She may have heard that a baby's blood doesn't clot well at birth, and by the 8th day of life the clotting factors are working. That has nothing to do with pain, of course, but maybe she got it mixed up?

· Registered
3,799 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lula's Mom
Maybe she is confused. She may have heard that a baby's blood doesn't clot well at birth, and by the 8th day of life the clotting factors are working. That has nothing to do with pain, of course, but maybe she got it mixed up?
: That's what I was thinking too... ITA with being prepared with a one-liner or basic info in case you're ever taken by surprise with a similar situation
The first little boy's mom I convinced was only because I went and did a week's worth of research following my discovery that they were planning on circumcising. I wasn't able to squeak out more than "You should really look into it before having it done." at the time

love and peace.

· Registered
4,914 Posts
Of the 8 days thing.... it does allow for some additional bonding between parents and child, you're a little less overwhelmed, and breastfeeding might be more established.

Not saying that it is at all an answer, but I cannot understand the medical justification that it has to be done the first 1-3 days of life.

Just another point to show how illogical RIC is.

Jessica

· Registered
11,048 Posts
I think it's a great idea to carry a card or a pamphlet, then you give them something to read at their leisure. My favorite is the first pamphlet on this site:

http://www.coloradonocirc.org/pamphlets.php

It covers all the relevant topics, and has websites for more info.

But it sounds like you did great! Even if your voice quavers, it's more important to get the word out than to stay silent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.