Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two year old is obsessed, I mean completely, 100 percent obsessed with spitting...everywhere and on anyone, including our eight month old. She takes her spit, smears it all over the tv, computer, wood floors, our 700 gallon fish tank (so you can imagine me wiping the glass on that ALL day!) She really likes to do it when she is mad at me or my husband. I have tried distraction, keeping her hands explaining to her it is not nice, and then I, due to lack of sleep and patience at the moment, I yelled "Just stop it already! It is gross and unacceptable!" Of course I felt really really bad and she did not understand me. Has anyone else dealt with this big obsession? How did you cure it? Or does it just go away eventually? Help..my house stinks! Yuck!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I just mentioned this in another thread I posted to, but I wonder if you re-directed her spitting to the toilet or the sink, if that would help? Maybe just say "oh, you need to spit! Here, let's go to the bathroom together and you can do it in the sink!" and then do it every single time so she knows you're serious.<br><br>
Also, have her clean up the mess. Give her a spray bottle of water (or some cleaner that isn't dangerous for her to spray) and a rag. When my 3 3/4 yo spits out water I always, always have her clean it up herself.<br><br>
Not sure if that would help, but maybe worth a try?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts