Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did you know that breastfeeding a child beyond a year makes them more prone to dying of dysentery?

I didnt, but now I do... and so do you. My poor toddler is 2 years old. She is doomed.

I love thanksgiving and spending time with the family and all but I swear I am going to have a cow if I hear more things like this from his family.

Did any of you get any grief from parents/grandparents/cousins/aunts/etc. during the holidays?

Has anyone else started dreading the holidays because of things like this?

I also found out that I should have started solids at around 4 weeks with Calvin because since my breastmilk doesnt have all of the nutrients that he needs he is going to get too thin and sickly if I dont start the solids on time. If I was feeding formula I wouldnt have to start solids until around 3 months because it is fortified with stuff that is better for older babies. So obviously my 17 pound 3 month old is the poster child of failure to thrive.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by netgyks View Post
My 73 year old grandmother threw a towel at me to cover up while feeding my toddler. The only people in the house was him, me, my husband and her. I laughed!
bwahahhaha.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Did she really consider this a valid argument, even if by some wild stretch of the imagination, it were true?

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
she totally did.. i couldnt make this kind of stuff up.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
did you know that breastfeeding a child beyond a year makes them more prone to dying of dysentery?
Wow, and I was breastfeeding to try and fight off ear infections. I guess I better stop before my daughter gets REALLY ill. OYE.

My mother is still on me to give DD formula because it's "better for her" and b/c I don't make enough milk. Did I mention DD is 20 months old?? Oh, and don't get me started on the fact that DD is allergic to milk ... mom just thinks it's because I'm breastfeeding. Not sure how it's my fault, but hey -- I'm doing everything wrong.

Dysentery from breastfeeding.
What's next? Measles from cosleeping? Polio from babywearing?

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Oh wow - that's the best one I've heard I think. Not only completely irrelevant for the US, but also untrue! Awesome!

People have actually backed off of me now that she's over a year and we're clearly not weaning. I think they all gave up.

MIL thought DD would STARVE at 7 months when she was getting very few solids and nursing all the time. 'Cause no baby can possibly get enough nutrition nursing after 6 months - she was also obsessively pushing formula. DD yawned one night and was fussy and rubbing her eyes and she wanted to "make her some cereal". Um, yes. That cures sleepiness.

This is a woman who fed DH egg yolk at 2 WEEKS and continued to stuff him with solids. He was always borderline FTT. Wonder why.
She also only gained 20 lbs (by dieting, and was tiny to start) when she was pg. And wondered why her babies were tiny.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.