Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He wants to know, in a pregnancy of multiple babies, does each baby have its own placenta?

I had never thought about it, and I don't know.

He specifically asked with respect to our cat who had had 4 kittens.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
He wants to know, in a pregnancy of multiple babies, does each baby have its own placenta?

I had never thought about it, and I don't know.

He specifically asked with respect to our cat who had had 4 kittens.
I don't know about cats, but identical twins (humans that is) sometimes share a placenta.

·
Registered
261 Posts
i think it's identical twins share one placenta (hence more health problems, or the growth of one over the other) and fraternal twins each have their own. for triplets, etc, i'm not sure!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
It depends on the type of twins!! Sometimes they share an amniotic sac too, sometimes they do not.

·
Registered
198 Posts
"Identical triplets are referred to as trichorionic and triamniotic, meaning 3 placentas and 3 amniotic sacs. With different triplet pregnancies having various combinations of sharing placentas or sacs. If 2 babies are identical in a triplet pregnancy, they may share 1 placenta and/or sac, with the 3rd baby having their own placenta and sac. "

more information here: http://www.birth.com.au/class.asp?class=67&page=13

·
Registered
774 Posts
And just to add, my cat's first litter wos two very small indentical tabbies, and they came out in the same piece of membrane all tangled together. Weird eh?

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Twin kittens!

All 4 of my cat's kittens were very different. And they came out one at a time. But I couldn't remember anything past that.

It was 13 years ago.

Thanks for the info, ladies!

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Debstmomy View Post
It depends on the type of twins!! Sometimes they share an amniotic sac too, sometimes they do not.
That's true. Fraternal twins always have their own sac and placenta because they come from separate eggs. With identical twins it depends on when, in the process of cell division, the zygote seperates into two separate embryos. With early seperation, you can have identical twins with seperate sacs and placentas.

·
Registered
835 Posts
My twins are identical and shared one placenta, (pretty cool with two umbilical cords coming out of it). The also shared one membrane but were in their own sacs. Fraternals have their own placenta's, but in some cases the placentas have fused making it look like a butterfly when spread out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.