Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm mostly a lurker here, but I wanted to share my birth story. It's a good thing we had planned a homebirth, because that's what we were going to get, no matter what.

We had an appointment with the midwife for Friday afternoon to make sure we had all the supplies in the right place. Our plan was to gather everything together and buy some of the last things on Friday morning (we had been snowed in all week). I was 37 weeks pregnant.

On Thursday night, I woke up around 11:30 with a bad stomach ache. I went to the bathroom but that didn't really help. The stomach ache was getting worse -- by midnight it was excruciating. I threw up and thought it weird that that didn't help. I "knew" that it couldn't be labor because everyone knows that contractions start out mild and then build up -- and this pain, whatever it was, had started out 10 on a scale of 10.

At 12:30, DH insisted on calling the midwives because clearly something was wrong. She pointed out that I was probably in labor. I said no way, since there was no way that I could endure this pain for the next 20 hours (the length of my dd's birth). She said they were on their way.

Around 1, I felt an urge to push. I still believed that I just had to poop, but I just couldn't get out of my position on hands and knees on the bed and I decided that I would just go to the bathroom in that position. About 10 minutes later, still to my surprise (okay, I wasn't thinking rationally) a baby plopped out onto the bed! Luckily, DH had the presence of mind to pick him up, wrap him in a blanket, and hand him to me. The midwives arrived about 10 minutes later, just in time to help deliver the afterbirth.

DH found the whole thing traumatizing, I thought it was empowering. Although the comments about how DH "did it all" from our families is a little annoying -- hello, I think I had something to do with it.

Thanks for reading!

· Registered
140 Posts
Thank you for sharing your story! I very much enjoyed reading about your experience. Enjoy your new little man!

· Registered
1,062 Posts
congratulations!!!!!!! so happy for you! I keep saying this little guy better stay in there until the midwives come so I get my $3000 worth!!! After two fast labors, I'm hoping this one isn't too short.

· Registered
1,555 Posts
Congrats on your birth! Seems you did a great job. Please let your husband know that for next time it might be a good idea if he read up more on normal birth. Precipitous labors like yours aren't all that common, but they do happen. It's nice to know what to do just in case...
Hugs to him, hope he is calmed down by now!
Enjoy your babymoon...I loved your birth story!

· Registered
5,655 Posts
Congratulations! I really want a fast unintentional UC one of these days.

Best wishes to you and your husband (hopefully time will dull any trauma he experienced!).

· Registered
1,877 Posts
Congratulations! Wow, that was a pretty quick labor. Funny that you didn't know you were actually having the baby til he popped out.
Thanks for sharing your story!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.