Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is opposite most children in a few key ways (not most ways, just a few ways). For example, most people eat more when watching TV or movies. But not my son. Any distractions and he doesn't eat.

My son also ramps up the crazy when he's tired. He gets MORE energy and does crazy things. You can usually tell he's tired because it's more spastic than when he's just his normal energetic self.

And because he's so tired and so nuts, these are the times he gets hurt. So far nothing major, no broken bones or anything, but I'm getting worried. We need some sort of plan for these times. I used to just say to myself, "Whatever, let him run and jump and wear himself out in a safe environment." But more and more he makes things unsafe when he's in that state.

I've decided: He simply cannot be active when he's tired - he WILL fall and hurt himself. But he won't sit and color either. He refuses to read or meditate, or do any other quiet, calm activity. I'm at my wits end. What do I do? How do I help him transition from active to calm?

·
Premium Member
24,385 Posts
My Younger daughter does this too. Gets wired the more tired she gets. She is still little enough that she is nursing and that will help, but yeah, I'm at a loss sometimes on how to get her to settle just a bit, to let herself calm down. I hope someone has some good words for you. :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Mine does this too. We try to keep her as close to a bedtime schedule as possible. But sometimes life gets in the way. Take yesterday for example. We weren't home in time for her usual nap time (due to an appointment) & I spent the next 2 hours trying to settle her down enough to at least rest. I gave up at the 2 hour mark & she went without a nap. It made for an awful afternoon & evening, but at least she was asleep by 7!
We don't do any screentime after 4 pm. We have a quiet down period after dinner. I put lavender body oil on her after bath & in general we speak in quiet voices trying to promote a calm environment. No sugar, including fruit before bedtime. Good luck!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think it's actually really common for kids to get amped up and crazy when tired. Both ours do. We have a very set bedtime routine that we really, really try to stick to unless it's a very special occasion, like July 4th. It's hard on us socially, but it keeps the house sane. I don't know how old your kiddo is, but both mine are now old enough to have a little insight into it. Sometimes. Sometimes I'll tell them (not both at a time ever) that they are making bad choices and I'm afraid they are going to get too crazy, and sometimes they'll miraculously understand that it could end badly for them (they have to go to sleep on our bed if they misbehave at bedtime) slow it down. Other times it ends badly no matter what I do. So, we try to avoid being in that situation of very, very tired kids.

We do minimal screen time at all, and hardly ever (except a special family movie night) in the hours before bed. Never caffeine, including no chocolate after early afternoon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 4yo gets hyper when he's tired too. I just explained to my husband last night - he's too tired to sit still and read a book, puzzle, or quiet activity.. but.. he will happily trade running for a sensory (translate: MESSY) activity. Painting, sand in the house, play doh, "washing" dishes (ie playing in the water).

He will make a huge mess. But it's usually a worthwhile tradeoff.

Any chances yours has a sensory processing issue (SPD?) I swear mine does.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts