Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grew up with this friend -- we've been close since we were toddlers. We live 2 blocks away from each other with our own families now, and it is very convenient to swap childcare regularly, and to drop in for visits frequently. However, my 2 children and her 2 children do not seem to want to get along. We've been working hard on this since our oldest kids were born 7 years ago. I can't quite grasp what the issue is, but our children are all pretty mean to each other, and very reluctant to make an effort to get along.

I do believe that children should be free to choose their own friends. But I'm having a hard time figuring out what is making them so resistant to these kids from such a young age.

Giving my kids the freedom to stop being friends with her kids would significantly limit my long standing friendship with *her.*
Any experience with this, or suggestions?

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The older two are more successful at civility than the younger two are. So I guess we should attribute that to our efforts. OTOH -- I think they are both civil and resentful, and I feel badly about that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.