Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was at the park today, and I was sitting next to a couple of ladies who each had two little boys. I was talking to one mom and found out that her son was five months old - we chatted, and then her friend came back. A little later, I heard her say, "Well, I don't want to be embarrassing to anyone." I hear her friend say, "You're not doing anything embarrassing - what you're doing is natural." Well, of course, I know at that point she's breastfeeding. I glance over and see that she is nursing this absolutely adorable little boy, and she is very obviously trying to hide behind a bag while doing it. After a while, she's done, and a little later we start chatting again. I said, "By the way, good for you for breastfeeding." She looked a little sheepish and said, "I don't usually nurse in public, but... (she shrugs) I usually nurse in the car. Some people are really uncomfortable with it." I smiled and said, "Well, that sweet little boy's right to eat outweighs their discomfort. Plus, it's HOT!" She laughed. I said, "I don't know how long you've been in Denver, but it's actually a pretty good place. People's attitudes are generally pretty accepting and progressive and breastfeeding. I've nursed three kids, and no one's ever said anything to me." After we finished chatting, she said, "Thanks for that." It felt pretty good!

I say hooray to her for breastfeeding a five month old and breaking through her comfort zone by doing it in public (hopefully, she'll feel more comfortable the next time!) and kudos to her friend for supporting her!

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I will admit that Colorado is just excellent. People here are very open-minded not just to breastfeeding, NIP, but also to alternative lifestyles. I know it's true of Colorado Springs. It's good to hear it's true of Denver as well. This is a wonderful state.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonfirefaery
I will admit that Colorado is just excellent. People here are very open-minded not just to breastfeeding, NIP, but also to alternative lifestyles. I know it's true of Colorado Springs. It's good to hear it's true of Denver as well. This is a wonderful state.
Ditto! We go to the springs twice a month, and I've never been bothered at all! But then again I'm usually at Vitamin Cottage, Whole Foods, or Downtown, so that might make all the difference!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts