Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last sunday i was stepping into the shower and had one foot in when i slipped very suddenly. luckily (because it prevented me from having a full-on wipe out) my other foot was planted firmly on the bathroom floor and when i slipped, the shin on that leg was banged against the side of the tub. it hurt quite a lot and started to swell almost immediately, but never really darkened in colour. i figured it would be one of those delayed bruises i've had before when really smashing myself. (i'm a bit of a klutz). so all week i'm watching the bump and it goes down and no bruises appear at all and i think maybe i'm just a big wuss about pain now that i'm older.

this morning i wake up and notice what looks at first like a big smudge of dirt on the inside of the arch on my foot on that leg. i try to wipe it off but it doesn't budge and i suddenly realize it's actually a huge purpley yellow bruise! i show my husband and he says that the blood from the injury in my shin must have pooled down below in my foot and is now coming to the surface. ok, that's fine; but now that it's night time, my ankle and foot are very swollen and tender, and the bruise has gotten consistently darker throughout the day. also, the original injury is swelling a bit again and hurting a LOT.

does this seem like a normal healing process thing? or did i hairline fracture my leg? or is it something else altogether and if so, should i consult a physician about it? i can still walk but it isn't comfortable. i have been waiting on it because i didn't think a real injury would seem to get slowly better and then suddenly get very very much worse.

i appreciate any advice you can give me.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just in case anyone does a search on leg injuries and bruises i am going to update this thread with the outcome. i hit my leg hard enough to cause pretty major internal bleeding. because i waited so long to see a doctor (8 days), it turned into an infection and i had to be x-rayed and have blood tests to make sure that i wasn't developing a DVT (deep venous thrombosis, or blood clot). i am now supposed to stay off my leg for the next five days, i'm taking powerful antibiotics, and being monitored for blood clot formation.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
I to am sorry no one responded. I try to keep up with all the posts but it is nearly impossible most days. I hope you get better fast.

Thank you for sharing what happened to you it may come in handy for others.

:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts