Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you might remember, I went in to the hospital last wednesday night (may 9th) to be induced. I got there at 6:30pm, got all the paper work done, and the dr arrived at 8:30pm. He applied the gel, and checked my cervix. I had went from being 2cm 80% effaced for the last couple weeks to 1cm 50% effaced. My body started regressing. All I needed was that gel to kick me in labor. It was the fastest I've ever had. I had to lie down flat for 2 long agonizing hours. Those were the longest 2 hours I ever remember, ohhhh, that back labor as he was posterior. The cx started as soon as he left the room at 2 minutes apart. DH didn't think I was having any cx as I closed my eyes during them, tucked in my chin, breathed real slowly and deeply like I was sleeping and hummed various songs. 2 hours later at 10:30pm the nurse checked me and I was at 3cm. My water broke when she checked me. She said it was low and meconium stained, prolly b/c I was overdue. I got my epidural and it kicked in at 11:30pm. At 1am I asked her to check me as I was having some burning down in my cervix. I was at 8cm, fully effaced. She walks out and I noticed on the monitor that the baby's hb started dropping in the danger zone. It went as low as 91 with the cx. She came back in and helped me roll on my left side. I screamed out in pain. She had me lay on my other side, I screamed louder saying his head was there. She checked me, and low and behold, he was coming out. This only minutes after she checks me when I was at 8cm. Now, although I had the epidural, I couldn't feel the cx in my uterus, but I could feel from the pubic bone down, feel and move my legs. So it didn't completely work. He came out after a couple agonizing pushes. I didn't get an episiotomy, but the OB was stretching me to help him out. OMG, that pain of being torn!! I got his head out, but it hurt too dang bad for me to push out the shoulders. I could feel me tearing more with every lil' effort. I screamed (1st time I ever yelled during a delievery) and thrust around like the girl on the exorsist movie pushing his shoulders out (no exaggeration). I have a 2nd degree laceration from all that.<br><br>
B/c I took so long pushing out his shoulders, his cheeks swelled pretty bad. His face and nose were all bruised up from coming out so fast. He had a lot of fluid still in his lungs which they worked on for a bit.<br><br>
The next day we discover that he has clogged tear ducts, excess fluid in his right testicle, and a heart murmur. He's also jaundiced, which I had him under the UV lights here at home. Because he has to be kept under the light, I haven't been on here.<br><br>
So, the details...<br><br>
Austin Santonio born May 10th at 1:29am<br>
1oz shy of 10lbs...9lbs 15oz.<br>
22 inches<br>
5 hours of labor<br><br>
My biggest baby yet...<br>
BTW, I have to say, this was the best birth experience I've ever had, and was so much better than what I thought. I don't think I could've been treated any better, or things could've went better. This was also the shortest labor compared to my other 2...16 hours and 47 1/2 hours.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Congrats! So glad your little man is here!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts