Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I went in for my normal Monday morning NST. My OB is on vacation, so just her staff is in the office - but they are competent and all. So I get hooked up, and of course the contractions (8 min apart) are picking up, but baby heart rate wasn't doing a thing...holding steady btwn 140-145 the whole time. The point of the NST is to see a few good accelerations that last for about 15 seconds each. After 30 minutes, I drink some original 7UP (baby is NOT used to sugar so it usually gets him up and moving around). We keep watching, no increase in the heart rate, contractions are continuing. At this point, the OB is called to see what she wants to do. Now, I would NEVER go to L&D based upon the relatively mild nature of the contractions - I could completely talk, move, etc. and having had 2 VERY long labors I wouldn't take myself to L&D until I couldn't do all of those things. However, because of the GD and insulin dependence - these can cause early deterioration of the placenta - I will, within reason, take the advice of my OB since that is what I pay her for. She says go to L&D for the unresponsive baby.

I go. Again I get hooked up, and whadya know, within the first 5 minutes we had two heart accelerations, tons of movement, and after being hooked up for 30 minutes - not one single uterine contraction. UGH - essentially a wasted morning. On a positive note, I did get free lunch from the hospital because my sugar levels were dropping since I hadn't eaten since breakfast :LOL

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Think you did great - it wasn't really a wasted morning - you made sure everything was OK and at the end of the day we can't really take any risks with the wee ones that we are carrying - esp with GD., don't think that it was wasted at all - slightly annoying but at least you know all is well and if you hadn't have gone you would probably have worried over it and all. I'm 35 weeks tomorrow and haven't had any checks like that, in the UK it was every week from 32 weeks - it's so strange that we all have such different ways of working.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I agree, not a wasted morning, but I can see how it was irksome. I'm glad the babe cooperated and you got the all clear to go back to business as usual.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewe+lamb
I'm 35 weeks tomorrow and haven't had any checks like that, in the UK it was every week from 32 weeks - it's so strange that we all have such different ways of working.
I totally agree with you! I had a midwife appointment this morning (I'm 36 weeks), and my next one isn't for three more weeks. Weird.

In the States I'd have been going in every week for the past month and continuing that way up to delivery.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ewe+lamb
Think you did great - it wasn't really a wasted morning - you made sure everything was OK and at the end of the day we can't really take any risks with the wee ones that we are carrying - esp with GD., don't think that it was wasted at all - slightly annoying but at least you know all is well and if you hadn't have gone you would probably have worried over it and all. I'm 35 weeks tomorrow and haven't had any checks like that, in the UK it was every week from 32 weeks - it's so strange that we all have such different ways of working.
I agree - you were checked out and everything turned out okay. Annoying to have to go in, but better safe than sorry.

Ewe - did you have regular stress tests in the UK? I didn't have any there. Well, no routine ones. When I was 39 weeks or so my GP once sent me to the hospital because my BP was high (I have problems with white coat syndrome, but it was high even for me), and I was monitored there for an hour or so before being released again (my BP was fine by that time), but that is the only time it happened. Or were you just referring to midwife appointments?

It is interesting to see how things are done differently. Here in Sweden I have only JUST started the two weekly schedule to see my midwife (I am 34 weeks). In fact, looking at my appointment diary, I won't go weekly at all unless I actually go overdue. But then, I am probably as low-risk as they come. Aside from the AMA, of course

1 - 7 of 7 Posts