Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the subject line suggests, my formerly meat-eating MIL wants to start the Rave Diet. She says it's vegan. I've never even heard of it. I'm vegetarian (with eating dairy as little as possible - for social reasons mostly) so she's been calling and calling with lots of questions for me. I want to support her in this, but a lot of her info is coming from a book I know nothing about. Is it any good?

One thing she mentioned is that it says to give up vegetable oils. ?!? It says to give up on olive oil, etc. Doesn't the body need some fat? I know Furhman is big on minimal fats.v I think that trying to give up animal products is a big enough step for now anyway.

Any thoughts? The book was given to her by Mehmet Oz's mother in law, who is a good aquaintance of hers. I don't want her to give up on veganism just because she started off with a bad book.

TIA,
Aven

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
i've never heard of it. Have you suggested that she try Eat to Live instead? (keeping in mind that Dr. F's suggested height/weight ratio is insane!)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't read EtL myself, but I've heard enough about it on these boards to trust it. I think I will encourage her to try that. I think the thing about the RAVE book is that it also came with a DVD. The benefit of that is that my FIL (who doesn't like to read anything) watched that, so he is on board with her.

I saw on the RAVE website that it got positive reviews from Dr. Furhman, so that can't be too bad.

I think I will encourage her towards EtL, and tell her that it's similar.

Any body else?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.