Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Wow. Stunning. I'm so sorry. Are there other options for you in the area?

Wow, I really feel for the mom just a few days from delivery.

My city no has no cnm's that deliver in hospitals. Truely pathetic.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Oh! Kristen! That's sooo sad! I'm so sorry for you!!! Thank goodness you're not the woman due in 3 days, at least you have time to find a new arrangement. And, who konws maybe your MW will get in somewhere else in town?

Where do you live? Do you want Homebirth MW resources, like Angela suggested? Homebirth really is a wonderful option.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's a great homebirth midwife in town, that's not the problem.

The problem is, we have an HMO, which will cover nothing towards a homebirth and almost everything towards a hospital birth. If we stay one night or less: $500 for everything, unless we need extra ultrasounds for going past 41 weeks, which are $50 a pop.

We're trying to buy our first house, so money is an issue.

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
Can you hire the midwife and have her bill the birth cost in with the prenatal care so technically they are just paying prenatal care and not for the homebirth. Or is there an out of network coverage? I dont have maternity coverage at all so I have to pay for the whole thing too but I got a pretty good deal I think, 2400. Alot of midwives have a cash discount if you pay in cash and they are pretty flexible with payment options.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But that's almost a $2000 difference!

I'm going to call the homebirth midwife again and price things out, just to see.

I still think finances will dictate a hospital birth (no freestanding birth centers in the city) but I really don't want to have to haul ALL the way across town (at least a 30 minute drive) for all of my appointments and to deliver, but that's where the next closest CNMs practice.

We're having a protest Thursday in support of the fired midwives, so maybe something good will come of that and they will get adopted by another practice or something.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts

Sounds awful. FWIW though I think any amount of money for a homebirth is worth it. Imagine how you'll feel if you are bullied in the hospital and end up with an unneeded section.

Good luck!

-Angela

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right, but the midwife I had (who got fired) hardly ever had a turn a patient over to the doctor and had a very low section rate, so hopefully I will find another good CNM or figure out a way to make the difference in price not so large between a homebirth and a hospital birth. I don't blame the hb midwife, I blame the HMO for not covering it!

I must admit, I'm not as concerned about a section after giving birth easily once already.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm sorry you have to have this stress right now
Good luck with the protest! I always love a good protest!

I'll agree with Angela that if you can swing it, the cost of paying out of pocket for a home birth is totally 100% worth it. And so would be driving 30 minutes to find a good midwife.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm definitely not going to let them dictate my birth choices and DH is completely behind me. So we will use a midwife, whether we can scrape up the money for a homebirth or we drive all the way across town for every single appointment.

Right now, I am just mourning the loss, participating in the outcry/protests, and not wanting to make any new decisions. We're having a peaceful protest tomorrow, the local paper ran an article today, who knows? Maybe I will be able to use my midwife on my side of town.

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
Hopefully something comes of it and you can still use her.

I know what you mean about finances though, when I had my son in 2002, we had alot of debt and I couldnt swing the homebirth cost. My HMO paid for the birth then and I only had to pay $10 dollars for the ENTIRE pregnancy (OB-hospital.) I just couldnt justify adding more debt when it could be $10, ykwim? We are now debt free (except our house) so that puts us in a different position this time. Plus my hospital sucked and I WILL NOT return (and I dont have maternity coverage anyways, so homebirth is cheaper for me by ALOT.) But I totally understand that it's hard to swing it sometimes. I hope something works out for you!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new here, but I had to respond. I'll post an intro and say hi later.

So, what are the reasons for firing? Do you know? It sounded like it was multiple CNMs? I hope that things work out for you, whatever you decided to do. Just remember to take care of yourself and not let the stress overwhelm you.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They terminated the whole midwifery program, and they were the only midwives on my side of the city.

We had a protest today on their behalf and the news came. About 75 women and 100+ kids, a good crowd.

I think I have decided on a new midwife practice, too.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kris10s
I think I have decided on a new midwife practice, too.
That's fantastic. I hope they make you as happy as for previous one did.

Our city recently lost it's only cnm practice. It's really upsetting that an area of ~1 million people does not have the choice to birth in a hospital with midwives.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One of the things that peeved me the most about the whole thing was talking to the COO of the practice on the phone and him saying, "Only 10% of women nationally are birthing with midwives in hospitals and that's not enough for us to warrant spending time and energy supporting a midwifery program."

me "10% may seem small to you, but that's a lot of women choosing to use CNMs! You've just cut out that choice for half of the city."

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Errr, so by that logic 1 in every 10 care providers should be a midwife. Hmmmm, how many obs are on your side of town? Grrr.

BTW, I have no idea how big your town is. How far away is "the other side of town"?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I live in Richmond, VA. The area is split by the James River (the river of "Just around the Riverbend"/Pochohantas fame
) and there are no midwives delivering South of the James. The new hospital was also very convenient for all those living on the west side of the city north of the James.

Now I am going to deliver with the midwives practicing at the Medical College of Virginia/Virginia Commonwealth University, in downtown Richmond. As long as I don't need to go to the hospital during the morning or afternoon commute, I should be okay. There are also midwives in far Northeast corner of the area (in a county hospital) but it's really far and the midwives there are reportedly a little more medical than the ones at MCV, which defies logic to me.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Just thinking of you Kristen. So sorry your options are so limited right now!

Oh, aslo, if you're interested in how to get insurance to pay for homebirth, I'd be more than happy to PM with you. I've had 3 different insurances reimburse my homebirths in full (oh and one was an HMO).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts