Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so bummed. She delivered DS and I really wanted her for this baby too. We have the same health insurance company and everything - but we got their care provider directory in the mail today and she's not in it. I have to call them on Monday to make sure but it looks like I'm going to have to find another midwife, or actually probably an OB since I didn't see ANY midwives in the directory, at all.

I'm so bummed! I guess it could be worse, I'm only 14 weeks. But I'm aggravated that I don't get to choose who I want to deliver my baby, and not only that if I want my insurance to pay for it I HAVE to use an OB. &*#[email protected]! insurance company.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
call the midwife's office and see what they know, maybe it is just a mistake. complain, complain, complain, call your insurance company, write to them, fact find and take down names, in your insurance company. complain to your HR person at work if what you find out is they are discriminating because she is a midwife.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I would ask and make sure that she isn't covered. Don't stress about it until next week!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
In many states CNM's don't bill directly, but through their supervising doctors -- they don't show up on provider directories, but the doctors do. Usually you can use any midwife/nurse practitioner who works with a doctor who is covered by the insurance.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
i understand where you're coming from, and agree with the other posters who said to call and make sure.

however, the same thing happened to us this time around. i complained to the insurance company, i talked to my mw about it, i looked for alternatives like the local birthing center. but no luck. i stressed about it for awhile. and, interestingly enough, there's another mama on this board in my due date club seeing the midwife i so much wanted to see for this baby!! so, i can live vicariously through her.

the good news is that after much asking around i found a family practitioner who is as close to a midwife as you can get. i've really come to like her. we have yet to see how the hospital birth goes, and how the staff treats me there. but if they're used to this doctor's patients and her style they shouldn't give me too much trouble about how i prefer this birth to go.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'll definitely call next week and see what's up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defenestrator
In many states CNM's don't bill directly, but through their supervising doctors -- they don't show up on provider directories, but the doctors do. Usually you can use any midwife/nurse practitioner who works with a doctor who is covered by the insurance.
This is what I'm hoping the case is - she works with a team of OBs and they are all in the directory. I'm nervous, though, because when I delivered DS she was listed in the directory under her own name. Maybe they just changed their procedure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.