Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was my oldest's birthday party & my MIL tried to give my 3-month-old a "taste" of frosting!

I was holding him while he was fussing a little & I saw her stick her finger on the cake to get a little frosting & she was going, "Just a LITTLE taste?" All I saw was a big pile of sugar on her finger & inside I was going, NOOOOOOOO. As soon as she got her finger near him, he stuck his thumb in his mouth and I was like, "Woops! Too late!"

I just about had a heart attack.
:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Kinda like my parents. Trying to give my son, then 7mo old DS a taste of chocolate candy bar. Or when we visited them last month, 11 months old, a whole **french fry** or a spoonfull of pistachio dessert. When they KNOW I'm uber careful about solids and allergies, and that he is still 98% breastfed anyways. Why not try to give him a bite of banana every now and then, instead?? UGH!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'd much rather it be fruit like banana or avacado than FRENCH FRIES!!!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog
Well I'd have a talk with her, but don't panic because a small taste of something that isn't a choke hazard probably won't do longterm damage.
: I agree.

It wouldn't have hurt your babe (unless they have a sugar sensitivity or something) so I would have a casual chat with her about all new foods going through you, but then let it go.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
ITA that a small taste doesn't do lasting damage, etc., but I know there was a bigger issue at hand when I faced the same issue with my mother and MIL.

It was that *I* was the mama and *I* didn't want my ds to have solids before 6 months, etc., and every time I had to defend food not going into his mouth, it wasn't about the food, per se, as much as I had to put my foot down because I was going to be the one to decide what and when he would eat solids, and not my family.

My family's good with that now; they ask before they offer, mainly because I've made it perfectly clear - and quite pleasantly, IMO - that Adam isn't getting steak tartare or fish, etc., until I darn well say so.

To the OP - if you think that this could be your situation, don't go NOOOO inside...go NOOO outside! As nicely as possible, but explain to them your stance and why you're doing it your way. You're the mama!

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EcoMama7
what is she...a total moron?!
I think that she is probably a woman who has raised a healthy child or children into adulthood and as the years have gone by, she has learned to not sweat the small stuff and just enjoy life and children.

Obviously talking to her and letting her know, respectfully, what your rules are is in order.
Good save though with the thumb!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know I will talk with her whenever we decide to let her babysit. I don't remember her trying to stick things in the other boys' mouths, but then again, I don't remember a lot from when they were wee ones.

I keep thinking of all these things I could've said:

"No thanks, Mimi, I'll get some frosting from mommy's milk later!"
"No thanks, Mimi, mommy's milk is so much sweeter!"

etc. etc.

ETA of course, she was a FFer, so I would feel a little mean saying something like that.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
My friend gave my 8 mo old a McD's french fry while I was getting changed- I was furious! not only is it deep fried, it has beef flavouring on it!! and we've decided to keep our guy a vegetarian until he's onld enough and interested enough in meat to decide for himself that he'd like to try some.
I didn't freak out about it, but my heart sank when I came back and he had french fry and oil on his mouth!

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
See it's not the fact that she gave your baby some frosting that I think is completely out of line....it's the fact that she never asked you first. When ds was 5 months old my mom asked me if she could give him a tiny taste of ice cream, I said sure....but when my 1st son was only about 4 or 5 months old my MIL's friend took a lime from her alcoholic drink and let ds suck on it. I had been in the washroom and MIL was holding ds at the time

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
The other day, DS chased a slow moving spider across the table, I was paying attention but we were at the park and I turned around to get his other sunhat from the diaper bag and when I came back he had the bug IN HIS MOUTH!!!!!!!!
I mean, I took it out, but I sure as heck would have preferred a tiny taste of frosting, or french fry to a BUG!!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by babygrant
See it's not the fact that she gave your baby some frosting that I think is completely out of line....it's the fact that she never asked you first. When ds was 5 months old my mom asked me if she could give him a tiny taste of ice cream, I said sure....but when my 1st son was only about 4 or 5 months old my MIL's friend took a lime from her alcoholic drink and let ds suck on it. I had been in the washroom and MIL was holding ds at the time

I think that's why I was so freaked out! She didn't bother asking ME.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckemom
The other day, DS chased a slow moving spider across the table, I was paying attention but we were at the park and I turned around to get his other sunhat from the diaper bag and when I came back he had the bug IN HIS MOUTH!!!!!!!!
I mean, I took it out, but I sure as heck would have preferred a tiny taste of frosting, or french fry to a BUG!!!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckemom

Ha ha, we just had our first (attempted) bug eating here too! Ours was dead though, and was on the floor. I think it was a moth.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
My aunt managed to sneak my then 9 month old a few crumbs of cookie baked with butter and she had nasty green poopies for days (known dairy allergy).
: Some allergies only take a teeny bit. Usually the ones that you hear about causing a reaction to the tiniest molecule are nuts and seafood, but it is possible to be that sensitive to dairy, as well, and other things I'm sure.

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamajama
I think that she is probably a woman who has raised a healthy child or children into adulthood and as the years have gone by, she has learned to not sweat the small stuff and just enjoy life and children.

Obviously talking to her and letting her know, respectfully, what your rules are is in order.
Good save though with the thumb!

Well I know that it's not gonna do major damage to the childs health or anything but it's just the fact of the matter. It's common sense. Babies, especially a 3 month old for crying out loud, should NOT have ANYTHING but bm. Period. I mean, I might feel a little differently if it were say, a mashed banana or something or that nature but frosting? I mean come on. It's just sickening to me.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I don't understand why people think it's okay to give babies that small sweets and other random foods that they don't need. I feel like saying "he's a baby not a science experiment!"

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood
I don't understand why people think it's okay to give babies that small sweets and other random foods that they don't need. I feel like saying "he's a baby not a science experiment!"
DS has had a couple little tastes of sweet things before but I'm defenitely NOT treating him like a science experiment.
:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.