Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been nursing my 2 yr old and my milk started drying up a month ago. My ds hasn't been nursing that much in the last few weeks. Maybe a minute a day, some days not at all. He says "all gone".
But today I noticed I have the clear, thick stuff again, not milk, but not the yellow colostrum. I just thought it was weird that even though Zane has been nursing this whole time, my milk would dry up and now it is making another appearance. I guess I just thought my milk would stay the same all through pregnancy and delivery. But I will probably get the yellow colostrum back too. Anyways, my body is just interesting today.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
When I nursed through my second pg my milk dried up early (8 weeks) due to a nasty virus that left me really dehydrated. My ds1 nursed on anyway, but started really decreasing in frequency. Around 7 months or so he nursed one day and got SO excited. When he was done he just smiled and said "YUMMY!". I figured pretty quickly that my colostrum had come in

This time has been crazy, one day my milk seems gone, the next day ds2 nurses like a madmad :LOL Ds1 is not impressed with whatever is happening and only nurses for a couple of seconds at a time. It still seems like milk when I hand express, but obviously my supply is really irratic. It is strange how differently our bodies (and our nurslings) react

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Milk dried up totally about a month ago ...and dd got tired of the empty nana's so is not nursing at all anymore (it's nice to have a bit of a break I admit ...I certainly wasn't planning on having her wean this way or this soon (LOL she's almost 3) though). There was absolutely nothing in my breasts for several weeks ... lately I've had a lot of the clear sticky stuff too ..it's too thick to come out like milk though and dd isn't even remotely interested in it.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
My breasts were totally empty (seemingly anyway) from about 16w until recently. About a week or two ago, I noticed dd would swallow once in a while. Today I was able to squeeze some clear stuff out & notced the veins were sticking out on the breasts (like they were fuller or something). I was actually pretty psyched to not have empty "Ga's" anymore, LOL.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have that clear stuff too. Does anyone know what that is, colostrum or something else? I ended up weaning 3.5 yo ds when I saw it b/c I couldn't deal with eliminating his food allergies from my diet (dairy and gluten). My pregnant body is just so into dairy right now that I just want to be able to listen to it, but I am curious as to whether there would have been any allergen in that clear stuff.

Now, ds occasionally asks to nurse and when I say that I can't, but I wish I could, he asks "is their wheat in your milk?" Almost makes me cry the way that he says it, but the transition has been amazingly easy

·
Registered
118 Posts
My milk I noticed was getting pretty low a couple months ago (increased the milk thistle, teas...) and now it's ''all gone'' too.

Though, we're still completely interested in nursing, especially at night.

It's just been in the last couple weeks (or so I think) that it's been gone, and it's so great to be able to ask and find out! LOL

Has anyone continued nursing for awhile after the milk dried up? If so, for how long? Sometimes it's uncomfortable to be nursing (with no milk), though the intimacy and time together of course is wonderful, as always...

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
After an extended period of not nursing dd has had a traumatic week (fell and knocked one of her front teeth out of place ... came down with her first serious chest cold and ear infection) and has begun nursing again for comfort (which is something I think both of us were missing) ...she's getting a bit of something but not enough. Tonight she had a big cry because she wanted nana milk so badly and there just wasn't any. My poor baby
. I feel horrible for her and wish there were something other than holding her and loving her that could make up for what she's obviously missing at the moment.

Like I've mentioned before I never planned on her weaning she just stopped when the milk disappeared ... but now it seems that she's trying to get the emotional component back and is feeling sad about it ... I just wish the milk would come back for her sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Has anyone continued nursing for awhile after the milk dried up? If so, for how long? Sometimes it's uncomfortable to be nursing (with no milk), though the intimacy and time together of course is wonderful, as always...
The first time I nursed through pg my milk dried up at around 8 weeks yet ds1 kept nursing right on through (he is actually still nursing a little through pg #3). He was sad sometimes at the lack of milk, but was always happy to nurse when he did. He was so happy when the colostrum came back, and after a small adjustment to the taste he was beyond thrilled when my milk came in after ds2's birth.

HTH

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Like I've mentioned before I never planned on her weaning she just stopped when the milk disappeared ... but now it seems that she's trying to get the emotional component back and is feeling sad about it ... I just wish the milk would come back for her sooner rather than later.
Has your colostrum come it yet? She might be happy enough with that until your milk comes back with the birth. I know my ds1 was so happy when I got colostrum last time around.

This time I only lost my milk for about a week or 2 before I got colostrum and ds2 was so thrilled that he has been nursing non-stop ever since. Maybe it'll work out like that for you and your dd.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I've got a bit of the clear goopy stuff ... pre-colostrum? and I doubt there's more than a teaspoon in each breast ... she's happy to suck but tells me there's nothing there ... and unfortunately my nipples are still pretty sensitive so I find myself stopping her more often than I'd like. I really can't wait for something to be there for her ... for both of us.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.