Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we have a walk in closet that used to be a very small bedroom.. it has a window in it. I left my 17 month old sitting in the doorway reading her frog book while I went to get my bra in the back of the house.. came back, put my bra on, and looked for Gwen.. not in the doorway, not in the closet, not in her room... panic feelings start... not playing in the toilet, not behind the couch or in the utility room.. OH GOD! I panic more on my second trip through the house! where could she be?? the doors are all locked, it's not like she could have escaped? Did someone come INTO the house and take her?? HOW?!! I run outside and look down the street (a very quiet dead end street) come back in and run around screaming GWEN GWEN!!! I go back in the closet room.. probably 15 seconds before I would have been calling the police (I probably looked for her for 1-2 minutes total, but it seemed like eternity!!) I check the window to make sure it's locked - which it was.. then hear a giggle! She was hiding behind Shaun's robe.. POOPING!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I picked her up just about crying.. my legs were shaking soooo bad! I felt like throwing up..
So that little incident.. took probably 5 years off my life! haha Anyway.. just wanted to share.. so if you're ever running through the house screaming for your missing kid.. it's probably safe to say that you can worry a teeny bit less!

· Registered
2,331 Posts
So glad she is ok!! and you too!

My dad apparently did something like that when he was little. The baby of 6. They were playing hide and seek and he hid under clothes in the bedroom and feel asleep. Had the whole house looking for him.

· Registered
1,867 Posts
Been there! I walked to the other end of the house to grab something a couple of weeks ago (and our house is not very big) and came back to the front room and couldn't find my 15 mo ds anywhere. I searched frantically and was just about to call the police when I heard him babbling. He has managed to crawl underneath our futon couch, and was sitting behind the futon in between the two bars, right where I couldn't see him. It is always amazing to me how resourceful kids are....and he is my third child.

· Registered
3,322 Posts
My STBXH's cousin did get the police called and helicopters were searching for him. He is 5 with autism and his older sister was watching him after school until Mom got home. He had fallen asleep between the bed and the wall in his room and wasn't waking up to Mom or Sis yelling. Mom called the police and a search began. This was in Buffalo, NY and they had news helicopters all around the house looking for him. He woke up an hour later and came downstairs!!

· Registered
2,283 Posts
My oldest did the exact same thing to me when he was about that age. Same deal, I searched the entire house, started wondering if someone could have snatched him by opening a window then closing it back without me hearing. Was also about to call the police when I heard a giggle as I left my walk in closet for the fourth time. In the back corner where several empty laundry baskets stacked togather so you couldnt really see through them he was in them and had pulled a long dress in front of him.

My exmil said her youngest had the whole neighborhood searching for him at about that age and he was in the closet,under stuff, sleeping. AGain when he was about six the school called cuz he wasnt there but he had gotten on the bus...panic, pandemonium, but he had fallen asleep on the bus and since he was laying down in the back, the driver didnt see him when the other kids got off.

Kids, sheesh.

· Registered
1,317 Posts
My DD did that to me the other day. I looked all over the house twice and finally found her playing in the dog crate! She's never that quiet!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.