Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all over the SALAD
: I'm not for sure why--she said it was a "wilted lettuce" salad. She then made a big deal our of individually telling the rest of the family that the bacon in the bowl next to the salad was for the salad, she just couldn't put it in the salad because then I wouldn't eat it. Like I was the biggest inconvenience in the entire world and she was going out of her way to accomodate me. I guess all the bacon grease wasn't suppose to count. Dumping a bunch of grease all over the salad was just strange.

She just moved 4 blocks from us, after living 45 minutes away! It is a bit much.

And she is trying to help--in her own way, but she always think my 9yo vegetarian dd is suffering from malnutrition and is constantly trying to shove meat at her. Fortunately, my dd is 100% my kid--and the more Mimi pushes the subject, the more stubbornly my dd refuses the meat.

So looking forward to these holiday dinners coming up!

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
that's a classic appalachian dish. some call it kilt lettuce or killed lettuce or wilted lettuce. a regular old salad would be more appropriate for a veg*n, but you could also make the same salad with fakin bacon. i think i did that last spring with yummy results.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Wow that's totally something my MIL would do just to ruin the one thing I could actually eat at her house, I better not tell her about it

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Yup very traditional. But... obviously an indication that she totally doesn't understand vegetarianism. It also sounds like she's rather passive aggressive, what with the trumpeting the whole "bacon on the side" thing. I think you need to confront her head-on with both what vegetarian means, and that you won't tolerate her being disrespectful and hostile toward your choices.

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
My g'ma put bacon grease in her pancake batter - I think bacon grease is a staple for farm families, everybody keeps a coffee can full of bacon grease in the fridge and they add it to everything!

Op - sorry your mom is so clueless and insensitive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts