Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to my parent's house the other day and left dd while I go to work. My mom knows that dd and I are vegetarians and is always so good about having veg. meals for us, etc. They went to the grocery store and were getting some deli ham for my dad. Dd asked for a piece and my mom gave it to her w/ out even realizing what she was doing. She apologized a bunch. I know it was innocent and such. Just curious if this has happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
AGH! I would freak out if that happened to my children. So sorry you had to go through that.
I just about lost it completely when my mother took my 3 year old to the store and bought hima toy fishing set. I really really wanted to have her return it, but I know my son would be sad, and my mother would have been even worse and been depressed as hell if I'd made them return it. So I'll just phase out the toy as soon as I can...
But I just can't imagine my reaction if my children were fed meat by anyone who knows we're vegetarians. I'm not sure I'd ever let them be alone with my children again.

- Krista

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
My oldest ds isn't a vegetarian. He's an omni like DH. Youngest ds doesn't eat meat (only 8 1/2 months) but hoping to keep him veg. I would be angry if someone intentionally gave my children meat when they knew we were veg, BUT, it sounds like your mom didn't mean to do it right? Sometimes people are just so caught up in the "norm" that they automatically just do something. It sounds like your mom is truly very sorry and I bet she feels horrible.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by babygrant
Sometimes people are just so caught up in the "norm" that they automatically just do something. It sounds like your mom is truly very sorry and I bet she feels horrible.
agreed. i'd still be really grossed out about it though, of course. but at least it was an accident and she feels bad.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mother nurture
Just curious if this has happened to anyone else?
All. The. Time.

It's a constant thing with our parents. Mine just don't care. MIL just doesn't understand what has meat, sugar, etc... and what doesn't. But she tries. Kind of.

Just a contant struggle with our families.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
When we visited my folks last, my mom accidentally gave my dd1 chicken. It was a total accident though. My mom is SO careful around my kiddos - even when we go out to eat, she never orders anything with meat, so the kids can eat off her plate. Well, she didn't have her glasses on. She didn't realize the dish she had ordered had chicken in it. She THOUGHT she was giving dd a piece of artichoke until I took it away from her. Mom felt SO bad. The funny part was the conversation I had with dd afterwards. "Mom, you never told me that chicken tasted good." "Well, honey, most people don't stop eating meat because they don't like it." "Oh, I see.....It tastes like tofu."
Only out of the mouth of a vegetarian child!

·
Registered
116 Posts
In the situation the OP mentioned, I wouldnt be mad at my mom. It was an innocent mistake. It sounds as if your mom is truly sorry. If someone gave DD meat, sugar(or whatever else is on my list of no-no's) on purpose without any regard for our "rules" then I would be truly ticked off.

We are new vegetarians(2.5-3 months). Luckily, everyone in our families have been very supportive-but, im sure there will come a day when someone makes a mistake. I will be bummed when/if it happens, but, if its truly a mistake I dont think I can get mad at the person for it. I understand that someone who is not veg doesnt think everything thru like we do. I know that prior to becoming veg myself I wouldnt think to read lables for hidden meat products, etc.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know that it was a complete accident, so I am not mad at my mom, just a bit suprised and in all honesty...:puke

Now, my MIL is another story. Every time we go to visit and eat a meal with her she makes the same pasta w/ ground beef sauce
And every time we have to remind her that dd and I are vegetarians and don't eat meat.

Even w/ this mishap, my mom is usually so good about only veg. meals and lots of organics.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mother nurture

Now, my MIL is another story. Every time we go to visit and eat a meal with her she makes the same pasta w/ ground beef sauce
Maybe that's the only thing she knows how to cook!?!?!

I have two related stories:

1. I was making one of my students a ham sandwich and had finished it when there was a bit of ham left on the cutting board. I just automatically picked it up and was about to pop it in my mouth when I suddenly noticed what I was doing! I've been vegan for 6 years. So such accidents can happen.

2. There's this great Nepalese restaurant a few hours from us. Once we were there and I had the vegan Thali, which is an assortment of dishes in little metal bowls with rice, etc. One of them was this stuff in a red, tomato sauce. I took a bit and immediately spit it into my napkin. It was chicken! I began to get upset but decided to take a closer look. I took out a piece, wiped it off, and guess what? It wasn't chicken after all, it was artichoke! The heart was textured and shaped just like a bite-sized piece of chicken and even tasted a bit like it.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
when my ds was younger....he's 5.5 now, so it musta been when he was 3 or so, we were at my mom's. she knew we were veg, but honestly, i didn't understand how absolutely clueless people can be about it. even intelligent people.
we were having lunch. my mom was eating turkey-vegetable soup. she offered ds a green bean from the soup. i said "MOM! you know we're vegetarian!" to which she said "it's a VEGETABLE!"
i said "mama....(as gently as i could-- she takes me condescendingly even when i truly truly don't mean it, which i never do)....it's in TURKEY BROTH."

at which she rolled her eyes like i was being picky and difficult.

i dunno. it's a weird mindset. at least your mom didn't try to justify, and she did feel bad. i'm sorry! i bet it won't happen again!

pamela

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
This happened with our DS too. My parents were eating salmon and my ever hungry DS asked for some. They gave it to him without thinking. My mom is generally careful about this sort of thing and always has stuff in the house for the kids that they can eat (which can be challenging because DS is sensitive to dairy and soy) and she will buy organic for them even though my dad complains that its too expensive. I honestly think she was just in grammy mode- where the kids ask for something and she gives it without hesitation. It was an honest mistake. If it was my ILs though, it wouldn't have been an honest mistake- we have found indescribably small meat chunks in all sorts of food. At first, they "forgot" or "didn't think about it" (which I suppose is why they went to all that trouble to grind it down so small), then they were just trying to "help" because "DH looks too thin" and I look "too pale". We never leave our kids with them unattended.

My DD is such a natural vegetarian that she won't even eat something if there is any possibility that there might be meat in it- or if it too closely resembles meat. Once my mom offerred her a boca burger (this was before DS came along with his soy problem) and she refused to eat it because it looked too much like the real thing.
Of course, that didn't stop my brother from giving her a fishing pole as a gift last year
: Poor DD looked so confused and started acting sort of embarrassed and upset. My brother said, you don't have to eat them, you can just catch and release. She said, "but doesn't it hurt the fish to get caught?" I told her that it probably did because the mouth of the fish gets caught on a hook, and that she didn't have to fish if she didn't want to. Then my brother gave ME the dirty look
:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
this was years ago, but i'd been a vegetarian for about 5 years at that time, and the folk i lived with thought it would be *funny* to give me a beef burrito from taco bell. you know how they grind everything up so it all has the same texture? i ate it, but the whole time i was windering if the beans were bad or something, since they tasted funny. it wan't until after that i found out why they tasted so odd... i was so proud of myself for having forgotten the taste of meat!
(not that the stuff taco bell serves is a good example of how meat ought to taste, but still)

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
i ahve this problem BUT my mom just doesn't care. she thinks we're starving Lily (yes! used those words!) so when she's visiting her my mom feed her "real" food such as pork (worse meat EVER!!!!) and Mc Donalds. eeeediot!! so we've reduced grammy's visits. we'd totally cut them off but she's our only babysitter. *vomits*

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
It always amazes me that people think that somehow kids are missing out on something because they don't get to go to mcdonalds. The only thing I can figure they are missing out on is chronic health problems and commercial marketing campaigns.

When our daughter was three she had to have some physical therapy. When we took her in they did a full work up of her development level- including cognitive skills (although she wasn't having any issue there) to get a baseline. One of the rooms was painted with all the mcdonalds characters on it. The person doing the assessment told us the kids just loved this room and then said to DD- do you know who that is? DD looked at her with a puzzled expression- she had no idea who Ronald McDonald was and it definitely didn't really excite her to see it. The physical therapist acted so confused when we explained that not only were we vegetarians but we didn't watch TV. You know what she said "That's so sad".
:

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
you reminded me of something about Lily, G&B'sMama. whenever she sees the golden arches or a Mc comercial she says: 'Ewwwwwww!! McDonalds is ucky! it makes me sick!' my mom HATES it! of course, we love it. lol. my mom has to take the wrappers off of McDonalds crap and leave the bags behind to get Lily to eat it. my mom came to us complaining about this once and all we could do was laugh. well, i laughed, DH almost strangled her for giving Lily that crap.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
OMG, I would have FREAKED. My mother got my kids hooked on chicken nuggets and I am still dealing with the consequences... 6 years later.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts