Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom has decided that I'm going to "turn DS diabetic" because all she ever sees him eat is mac n cheese. We only see her one weekend every few weeks. DS and I are vegetarian and mainly eat all-natural foods, or at least homemade. My mom and dad eat total junk. There's nothing in her house to eat but canned beans, stale cereal, and frozen dinners, which all have meat in them. The only thing that DS and I can ever eat is mac n cheese. For a while, I'd go grocery shopping every time I went for a visit, but it got too expensive and not worth the effort since there was nothing to start from, no staples. She is so sure that DS eats nothing but peanut butter sandwiches, mac n cheese, and pancakes because that's what he lives on when we're there. She feels validated because when we went to O'Charley's to eat, I got DS mac n cheese. There were only two choices on the kids' menu that didn't have meet - mac n cheese or cheese pizza. The pizza didn't come with a side, so DS had mac n cheese, steamed veggies, half a roll, some of my salad, and a few bites of baked potato. Sounds like a pretty good meal to me!

We got DS tested for diabetes a few weeks ago because he was showing some of the symptoms. It turned out to be a virus, which we told her, but I guess she has decided that he's either diabetic or going to become diabetic because she thinks I feed him nothing but breads and pasta. I've asked several times for them to get decent food when we're there, but she thinks she's done enough by getting him jars of baby food (he's 19 months old!!) and applesauce and one package of vegetable egg rolls for me.

Oh, and apparently my milk is becoming less beneficial "whether I want to believe it or not" and BM and a children's vitamin every day just aren't enough to keep him healthy if all he eats is mac n cheese. I've tried explaining to her that he eats a very healthy diet and that he eats better than any other kid I've ever met, but she doesn't believe me.

I guess I just needed to vent here. I'm glad I only have to deal with her once every few weeks, but the emails are almost as bad as dealing with her in person. I feel like she's just looking for some reason to show me that I'm not doing something right with DS. First, I didn't have half his penis cut off to make it look "normal," then I insisted on continuing to nurse him even though he was "too small" at 8 months and my milk was obviously not strong enough, then I refused to allow him to eat McDonald's, then I stopped feeding him meat, now I'm trying to turn him diabetic! If she knew we didn't vax, she'd FLIP. She has asked five or six times when he's due for his vaxes. I just tell her "At his next visit, I guess" and change the subject. Every time he fusses she comes running to snatch him from me because I couldn't possibly know how to calm my own child. She used to come running when he'd cry to nurse in the middle of the night when he was little. Like she could do something about that! I'm just waiting for the fireworks to start when he starts going to Spiral Scouts and attending sabbat circles!

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She emailed me again and that's exactly what I did. She swears that she spends all kinds of money on decent food and that we don't eat it. She must be hiding it under her bed, because I sure haven't seen it!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by minkajane
I'm just waiting for the fireworks to start when he starts going to Spiral Scouts and attending sabbat circles!
:

Man what a trip. Could you take a few Amy's frozen dinners to your mom's house? Or maybe record what he eats during the week when she's not around so she can see that he does indeed have a great diet. Although honestly it seems like your mom has to have some part of your parenting to disapprove of, so I'm not sure how much good it would do...

Either way, I can definately see how frustrating this is... vent away mama...

I have a junk food MIL, for her 4th of July cookout she bought dd some "juice", you know, those purple and orange drinks made of nothing but sugar and artificial crap (the ones in the little barrel-shaped bottles) and then acted all offended when I declined the "juice" and got dd a cup of water

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Maybe on your next visit you should take some food from your home or go to a local store and buy stuff (with her there), cook it at her house and let her see that he PREFERS healthy food instead of junk, and with decent options your ds will eat more than enough!

BTW-isn't diabetes something that you are either born with or develop with obesity? I'm far from my target weight and have diabetes in my family and I still do not have full fledged diabetes...and I eat carbs!

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have a family history of blood sugar disorders developed in adulthood. My mom's hypoglycemic and I have PCOS, plus we have several people (overweight, but not obese) with Type II diabetes and another with PCOS. I made the mistake of telling her we were getting him tested for diabetes, which he turned out not to have. I guess she's decided to forget that I told her the test was normal! She's bipolar and not medicated, so it's hard to explain things logically to her sometimes.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Quote:

She's bipolar and not medicated, so it's hard to explain things logically to her sometimes.
Well, yeah....if she's bipolar and not medicated, you're doing remarkably well! My late FIL was bipolar, as well as an ex-boyfriend, and even on medication, it's a trip!

Hugs to you; look at it this way--at least she's concerned about her grandchild, not so wrapped up in herself that she wouldn't even notice.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Quote:

My mom has decided that I'm going to "turn DS diabetic" because all she ever sees him eat is mac n cheese. We only see her one weekend every few weeks. DS and I are vegetarian and mainly eat all-natural foods, or at least homemade. My mom and dad eat total junk. There's nothing in her house to eat but canned beans, stale cereal, and frozen dinners, which all have meat in them. The only thing that DS and I can ever eat is mac n cheese. For a while, I'd go grocery shopping every time I went for a visit, but it got too expensive and not worth the effort since there was nothing to start from, no staples. She is so sure that DS eats nothing but peanut butter sandwiches, mac n cheese, and pancakes because that's what he lives on when we're there. She feels validated because when we went to O'Charley's to eat, I got DS mac n cheese. There were only two choices on the kids' menu that didn't have meet - mac n cheese or cheese pizza. The pizza didn't come with a side, so DS had mac n cheese, steamed veggies, half a roll, some of my salad, and a few bites of baked potato. Sounds like a pretty good meal to me!

We got DS tested for diabetes a few weeks ago because he was showing some of the symptoms. It turned out to be a virus, which we told her, but I guess she has decided that he's either diabetic or going to become diabetic because she thinks I feed him nothing but breads and pasta. I've asked several times for them to get decent food when we're there, but she thinks she's done enough by getting him jars of baby food (he's 19 months old!!) and applesauce and one package of vegetable egg rolls for me.

Oh, and apparently my milk is becoming less beneficial "whether I want to believe it or not" and BM and a children's vitamin every day just aren't enough to keep him healthy if all he eats is mac n cheese. I've tried explaining to her that he eats a very healthy diet and that he eats better than any other kid I've ever met, but she doesn't believe me.

I guess I just needed to vent here. I'm glad I only have to deal with her once every few weeks, but the emails are almost as bad as dealing with her in person. I feel like she's just looking for some reason to show me that I'm not doing something right with DS. First, I didn't have half his penis cut off to make it look "normal," then I insisted on continuing to nurse him even though he was "too small" at 8 months and my milk was obviously not strong enough, then I refused to allow him to eat McDonald's, then I stopped feeding him meat, now I'm trying to turn him diabetic! If she knew we didn't vax, she'd FLIP. She has asked five or six times when he's due for his vaxes. I just tell her "At his next visit, I guess" and change the subject. Every time he fusses she comes running to snatch him from me because I couldn't possibly know how to calm my own child. She used to come running when he'd cry to nurse in the middle of the night when he was little. Like she could do something about that! I'm just waiting for the fireworks to start when he starts going to Spiral Scouts and attending sabbat circles!

just keep doing what your doing. I have people like that in my family too so I know what you mean. it can be very aggrivating but you are the mama! and btw what are spiral scouts and sabbat circles??

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
WOW...I thought my mom was nuts! I guess I'm lucky that my mom is crunchy like me (though she still wishes I vax'd, but she respects my decision).

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I figured somebody would ask.
Spiral Scouts is a Pagan scouting organization, kinda like the Boy Scouts.

http://www.spiralscouts.org/metadot/index.pl

Sabbat circles are rituals celebrating Pagan holidays (we've got eight of 'em).

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Quote:

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Since you said Sabbat circles I knew Spiral Scouts just HAD to be a Pagan thing. I'm so glad I read this thread! I'm soooo going to get my son into that! heh

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Do you have a digital camera? If so, I would just start taking pics of his food and him eating it at every meal, and then just send them to her (not resized, so they take forever to load) and point out that you plan to do that until she gets off your back.

(Woah... that's kind of mean... but I guess I'm usually mean when people won't get off my back lol )

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Quote:

thank you for that link. its sounds cool. my girl wanted to join girlscouts but I did not want her to for various reasons. soo I will look into this..thanks again!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamachandi
thank you for that link. its sounds cool. my girl wanted to join girlscouts but I did not want her to for various reasons. soo I will look into this..thanks again!

OT- but I'd be interested in anything negative you've found on Girl Scouts. I know all sorts of evils on Boy Scouts, but from my research Girl Scouts seems pretty clean.

-Angela

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
OT- but I'd be interested in anything negative you've found on Girl Scouts. I know all sorts of evils on Boy Scouts, but from my research Girl Scouts seems pretty clean.

-Angela
well aren't they the same organization??

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Personally I wouldn't journal his meals or take pictures of them to provide to her. That's giving the impression that her concerns are valid, which they're not -- they're ridiculous and none of her business. I don't like the idea of "proving" to someone that I'm being a good mom when they come at me with ridiculous accusations.

I would just start bringing a cooler filled with healthy foods when you visit (so you don't have to shop in her town and spend extra money), feed your son what you would normally feed him at home, and calmly tell her to butt out if she brings it up again. No justifying, no explaining, no reasoning (people like her just use all of those as opportunities to try to punch holes in your arguments) -- just calmly and repeatedly saying, "Thanks, but we've got it covered."

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Oh, I could have written your post. (Except my mom has borderling personality disorder, not bipolar. Though also unmedicated).
I think that our moms criticize every aspect of our parenting because they have some need to hear us say, "wow, you were such a great parent. I wish I could be half as good with my own child as you were with me". The more far-fetched that sounds, the more they want to hear it. My mom has spent the better part of my adult life trying to get me to say she was a perfect parent when in reality CPS probably should have stepped in!!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna

-Angela
I think it's more that they are a Christian-based organization. I may be wrong.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Quote:

I'm just waiting till ari is old enough for spiral scouts. How old do they have to be again? I guess I'll check the site...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
My understanding is that the Girl Scouts are neither Christian, nor are they at all associated with the Boy Scouts. If anything, the Girl Scouts periodically get themselves in trouble for being too openly feminist.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts