Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
12 week old DD has started crying during night feedings. I won't bore you with our long tortuous nursing history -- suffice it to say that it's just one more in a very long series of nursing difficulties.

Anyway, I (stupidly) mentioned it to my mom, and said we were trying to figure out why. Gas? Intestinal upset? Sore throat? And so on and so forth.

So my mother gloms onto the sore throat idea, and for some odd reason thinks that feeding her something cold would soothe it, and suggests FEEDING MY 12 WEEK OLD EBF DAUGHTER A POPSICLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of all the totally insane things I've ever heard. And my mother is not stupid. She supports my decision to BF, etc. Although she is rather crazy (not kidding), so I suppose it's not all that surprising. I still couldn't believe it though. Just had to share the insanity

ETA: She has also told me I'll have to rub whiskey on her gums when she starts teething!!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Maybe she meant a frozen breastmilk popsicle??

Let's give her the benefit of the doubt lol!!!
My mom is the same sometimes, she'll just spurt out ideas without really thinking.
At least it's good for a laugh!!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
yours is crazy too? go figure, I thought my mom was the only one out there that was crazy!

isn't weird how they just grab one thing and stick with it?!?

Sounds like you're doing everything you can to soothe cranky baby.

mom's are weird (I can't believe I'm one of the weird ones now...
)

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
My mom was just here for a visit and we got into this big Jello discussion. She was telling me, that my 11 mo DS would probably love Jello, and did I have any? I told her it was basically sugar and food color and that he did not need any. Besides, we do not usually eat Jello, we do not really like Jello, therefore, it was not necessary to introduce Jello. So then she went on, that I could MAKE my own Jello with plain gelatin and fruit juice. I again went on to tell her, that we do not eat Jello and Will is probably going to try Jello someday but at his age, he does not need Jello, and fruit juice, even the natural stuff still has too much sugar in it and with all the other good foods out there, WHY would I need to make him Jello? I swear, this conversation went round and round for probably 15 minutes, and wound up with my mom just getting frustrated with me! (She is usually really big into nutrition and I really had expected she would be on the same page as me, but for some reason, she had Jello on the brain or something!)

Please don't tell me I am turning into my mother... I am sure I lost half my brain cells when the placenta came out
:

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by timneh_mom
I am sure I lost half my brain cells when the placenta came out
:

Isn't that the truth!!!!!

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I got it bad from both ends. Both mom and mil are sellfish. My mom is a drunk. His mom is nasty and rude to me.

During our first week at home my MIL said "whole milk is exceptable for babies" My mom told my dh to let me sleep and it was okay to not wake up to nurse my newborn, I slept 5 strait hrs, its was not cool. **And my mom breastfeed all 3 of us....go figure....

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Ain't it the truth. I find myself doing the same things withmy teenager that used to bug the heck out of me when I was a teen and my mom did them. It's like, I can see myself doing them, and I know I'm acting 'nutty', but I can't stop myself! It's the strangest thing.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanana
ETA: She has also told me I'll have to rub whiskey on her gums when she starts teething!!

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that one from someone I could buy some teething tablets!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.