Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love coming up with new things to say in case I'm criticised for breastfeeding a toddler or young child. Of course, when it happens my tongue gets tied and I don't say anything that spectacular. I just shake a lot and try to hold back tears.
BUT...if I had the guts and was calm enough, here is my new comeback.

Imaginary Conversation Below (probably with a medical professional because that's where I've gotten the most grief)

Mean Person-You need to wean him. He's too old to breastfeed.

Me-Did you breastfeed your children?

If they say....

Mean Person-That's really not any of your business?

Me-So, how is OUR breastfeeding habits any of YOUR business?

If they say....

Mean Person-Yes.

Me-When did you wean them?

Mean person-(they say an age)

Me-Why did you wean them at that age? (I think this will give a lot of insight and help me come up with an appropriate response and information)

If they say....

Mean Person-We tried, but couldn't.

Me-What went wrong?

Mean Person-I don't think that's any of your business.

Me-(back to original response) So, how is our breastfeeding habits any of YOUR business.

Mean Person-I'm your doctor.

Me-Well, since you're a doctor, you of all people should know the dangers of premature weaning.

OR if they give a reason for breastfeeding failure such as not enough milk....

Me-How do you know there wasn't enough milk?

If they say none of my business....well, you get the drill.

I love having imaginary conversations. Paltrow loses brain cells through her breast milk. I think I'm losing my sanity!!!!!!!!

Dina

· Registered
12,640 Posts
:LOL

I had an sOB I had never seen before tell me to wean my dd so she wouldn't be jealous.
I didn't say anything at all, because she had just about ripped my cervix out with her rough pap- never went back to that witch.

I don't get it- since when should medical doctors offer parenting advice.
:

· Registered
3,217 Posts
I've started using "I'm sorry... I guess I missed seeing your name appear on her birth certificate" Works for bf'ing and parenting advice

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak
I've started using "I'm sorry... I guess I missed seeing your name appear on her birth certificate" Works for bf'ing and parenting advice

That's a good one!!!

It's almost like you need a list of comebacks.

1. Really rude comebacks for really rude people

2. Sort of rude comebacks for family and friends who you want to sting, but not totally alienate.

3. Sensitive comebacks for those who are sensitive about the whole BF issue

4. Educational comebacks for the polite but ignorant

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.