Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my last large fluffymail package arriving last Friday, I assembled my whole newborn stash and spent a fun evening trying on diapers and covers on various stuffed animals, Elmo being the best volunteer of them all.

I wanted to give you my impressions of what I've got, for those who are building their own n/b stashes. Keep in mind I haven't tried them on a baby yet, but still I have formed some opinions.

Newborn diapers come in a range of sizes depending on the brand. Not all n/b sizes are equal!

The smallest ones I have are my Bitty Buns from DiaperBabies. These diapers are so incredibly adorable for the sheer teeniness of them. They are made of a cotton terry fleece, which I've never seen before. They are lovely and soft. I know these will fit from day one! They just have "little baby" written all over them. I just hope baby is not too big!

Next up on the size chart are my Nanipoos and Loveybums. The Loveybums, however, have alot of stretch to them, and seem very size adjustable (they fit Elmo and Polar Bear with equal ease!). Nanipoos seams are "hidden" (turned inwards) which makes the flaps a bit thicker, and they seem to stick out a bit at the edges. However, they also come with two rows of snaps, and don't have the issue of "rolling" at the edges that some wings do. The Nanipoos seem just the right size for newborns, but I'm not sure how adjustable they will be. Still, there are a generous amount of snaps, so I'm hopeful!

The Loveybums are my favorites! The sherpa is positively YUMMY. These diapers are soft and stretchy, and even have hip snaps!!! She gave me a combo of cut-out and snap-down cord fits to try. I already like the cut-outs best as it makes for a smoother look to the front of the diaper. Still, both appear to be equally functional (not sure where Elmo's belly button is!). I can't rave enough about how much I am in love with these diapers!

My sugarplum baby hemp fitteds and my KHW hemp are both the same size. Both are quite a bit larger than my other newborn diapers, and I'm not sure if they will fit from day one. However, knowing how fast babies grow, I'm sure I will get some use out of them. They are both hemp, and the KHW ones have so many layers of hemp in them that they are just a fabulous deal if you can get some. I think these will make great night diapers!

My Baby Soft Wraps AIO's seem quite big for a newborn. They are also very thick due to the soaker. I'm thinking these will make for some great nighttime diapers, but not sure if they will fit baby right away.

As far as covers go, for n/b I have 4 Loveybums PUL (front snap) and 4 Very Baby PUL (side snap).

I'm in love with the Loveybums covers, as much as the diapers. They are gorgeous, and I love the micro inners that come standard (though I'm hoping this doesn't become a liability with messy newborn poops). These covers fit over all my newborn diapers, they have a great range of snap settings, and again have hip snaps for the trimmest fit even on small settings (no wing droop).

the Very Baby covers I have seem very big, even though they are n/b size. I doubt they will work on most of my newborn diapers, and will likely be too big at first, though they fit perfectly over my KHW and SPB ones. However, they are wonderfully made, and I love the bright prints I chose. These remind me of my ME AF covers, and I hope they prove to be as dependable. They are a very sturdy and durable-looking cover. Just really big! I'm wondering if I'm going to end up needing more n/b covers until baby grows into the Very Baby ones.

hope that helps some of you planning n/b stashes! I'll report back again when baby comes. for now, I'm afraid I've got all the n/b diapers I need.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
"My Baby Soft Wraps AIO's seem quite big for a newborn. They are also very thick due to the soaker. I'm thinking these will make for some great nighttime diapers, but not sure if they will fit baby right away."

I have a Baby Soft Wrap AIO (small) that I love, but I agree, it's SOOOO thick!! Does yours have the soaker that is sewn at both ends and snaps in? I was wondering if I could actually cut it in half
: and use it as two ... and just sew a snap on the side that didn't have one. My dd for sure doesn't need all those layers (when she wears it, it is so stinkin' bulky, but so cute so I still put it on her - but the pee doesn't make it down to that bottom part of the soaker), so does anyone think I could get away with doing that?

Oh, and the super-thick soaker does make for a tricky fit; I had to spend about 5 minutes finding the right snap adjustment to accomodate for the huge bulge in front due to the soaker. It's still kind of hard for us since dd is wide-waisted, but we're making it work (I think), because the dipe is so cute

1 - 6 of 6 Posts