Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I went to nursing school together. We are both now working as nurses, she is working in pre and post-natal public health. She is very mainstream and will be fully vaccinating on schedule, will attempt to BF (but has bought a couple cans of formula 'in case'). I am only assuming she will be circumcising. We live in different cities now, but we email about once a month. She is the type of friend that we can pick up wherever we left off.

So, what do I say to her about circumcision?! Do I just send some articles? That seems a little 'out of the blue' since she hasn't asked for any advice from me. Do I just ask, will you circumcise your son? I am at a total loss.

Please help.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
You're both nurses which is perfect - mention it's something you heard at work from a doctor or something.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I hope she listens to you! My friend was a nurse, I sent her a ton of links and bought her the book by Dr Paul Fleiss What your doctor may not tell you about circumcision..and she did it to her preemie anyway.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by courtrn View Post
i will let you know what she says. she is only 13 weeks right now. i might wait a couple more weeks to bring it up.
There might be another option. NOCIRC did a series of online classes which I believe count toward medical professional's continuing education. If they do the courses again in a month or two both of you could sign up and take a course or two together.
Here is the site: http://consciouswoman.org/2007/08/14...ntact-newborn/

·
Registered
763 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwhispers View Post
There might be another option. NOCIRC did a series of online classes which I believe count toward medical professional's continuing education. If they do the courses again in a month or two both of you could sign up and take a course or two together.
Here is the site: http://consciouswoman.org/2007/08/14...ntact-newborn/
Conscious woman is on a break b/c the director is expecting a child in January. They will resume programming in 6 months. However, you can order the past recorded courses that were for about $22 each. Email her and ask her about the Intact Boy Series archives.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Anecdotally, most of the health care professionals I know don't circumcise their babies. They still perform/participate in circumcisions ("money-in-the-bank"/"respecting other people's decisions"....) but don't opt for them for their own children. I find the information on NOCIRC.com to be really helpful -- I like where it lists all the current medical health organization's recommendations around the world.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by latinalonestar View Post
Conscious woman is on a break b/c the director is expecting a child in January. They will resume programming in 6 months. However, you can order the past recorded courses that were for about $22 each. Email her and ask her about the Intact Boy Series archives.
I took several of these programs and highly recommend them. They are done as a Powerpoint presentation with the presenter speaking in the background. I found the quality to be first class and learned a lot even tho I'm a bit of a "know it all" on this subject

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LilacMama View Post
Anecdotally, most of the health care professionals I know don't circumcise their babies. They still perform/participate in circumcisions ("money-in-the-bank"/"respecting other people's decisions"....) but don't opt for them for their own children.
That is so sad that they can still do that to other babies.

:puke

·
Registered
235 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kldliam View Post
i send this e-card to expentant parents:

http://www.circumstitions.com/Itsaboy.html

It's light and non-threatening.
This is REALLY Good!!! Wow!
I say you should just find a way to say something....take the risk of losing a friend or causing tension if you must, but say something. This is a great way to do it. You never know, you might save a little boy from much pain and a mother from much regret!

Lisa

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.