Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I saw my OB yesterday and he brought up that he would want to induce me if I go a week past my edd(11/24). I have had a normal pregnancy so far but in teh past few weeks she has had a lot of decrease in movement(not making the 4 in an hour) so I have had several NST. I have one scheduled for tomorrow adn if I don't "pass" it as reactive then they will do a biophysical profile. He said that if they find anything wrong they would want to induce then. I am okay with that if the baby is truely in distres/has too little oxygen etc. He then told me if I went a week late he would want to schedule and induction. I have been very happy with him so far. HE has been supportive of my desire to have a natural birth and doula.

Obviously I am ready to have this aby but I would rather wait until at least 42 weeks to induce unless there is something wrong. I see him Monday and I am due Friday so hopefully I will just have the baby before my next appointment. I was thinking that I could ask him to do a sweep on Monday to try and get things started without an induction. Hopefully he will be receptive to waiting,I am just not up for a fight at this point.

BTW I am 1 1/2cm dilated,-1 station, 80% effaced, and think I have lost my plug(lots of bloody mucusy discharge during the past week)!

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilysmama1124 View Post
Obviously I am ready to have this aby but I would rather wait until at least 42 weeks to induce unless there is something wrong. I see him Monday and I am due Friday so hopefully I will just have the baby before my next appointment.
Wow, you're not even due yet and he's stressing you out about this! Yikes!

Quote:

I was thinking that I could ask him to do a sweep on Monday to try and get things started without an induction.
Painful and pointless. I've never heard of a woman going into labor from a sweep. You go when you're ready.

Quote:

Hopefully he will be receptive to waiting,I am just not up for a fight at this point.
Boy I know what you mean. Maybe you can state things in a way that don't make you feel like you're arguing - such as:

"I know a lot of women are anxious to have their babies sooner than later, but I'm much more comfortable waiting until the baby is ready. Since 42 weeks is still within the average term, can we wait until then before planning any inductions - assuming of course the baby is ok?"

Whereas asking him permission is a lot less confrontational. Next, if he's not receptive and you still want to stick with him, you could just not show for any induction he schedules (though I do think it's best to cancel it rather than just not show).

Quote:

BTW I am 1 1/2cm dilated,-1 station, 80% effaced, and think I have lost my plug(lots of bloody mucusy discharge during the past week)!
The dilation/effacement means nada. But the plug could be a good sign - unless you've been having cervical checks, in which case it could just mean that the check unfortunately interfered with it.

I think you need to stick with your guns. An induction could mean a lot of interventions (slippery slope) including, unfortanately, c-section. I'm sorry your doctor is stressing you out so much, especially when you're not even at the 40 week mark yet!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
When they do the "4 movements an hour test" are they making sure your baby is awake? I could easily fail a test like that when my baby is sleepy even though I have plenty of movement during other times of the day/night. personally, I wouldn't even consider medical induction before 42 weeks unless there was a serious indication (such as PIH) to do so. If you're not feeling okay about it, let your doctor know. He doesn't get to decide when your baby comes out.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm sorry that your OB is stressing you out. If it were me, I really wouldn't consider an induction until at least 42 weeks. The fact that you have been losing your mucus plug is very encouraging that labor will start on its own! Also, my midwife told me last week that a sweep really won't work unless you are at least 2 1/2 cm and even then only if you are ready. Why do they have you taking NST already?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Please don't let anyone frighten you into doing something you don't want to do. It is. like you said perfectly normal to go over your "due date" by a couple of weeks. Just take a nice bath and relax, they had me all freaked out too, wanting to induce me BEFORE my edd, (Apparently their fancy biophysical profile showed he was too big
I persisted for a week and a half, he came 4 days after his due date, posterior, and he was NOT too big.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks mamas- it's nice to have my feelings validated. I think my OB is just used to "mainstream" mamas who are probably begging for and induction at this point. I am going to try some things to get labor going on my own-acupressure/sex/walking/red rasberry tea. The doulas I have talked to have said that those things won't hurt and won't start labor unless I am actually ready I think it is worth a try.

I just need to gather my confidence if I haven't delivered by Monday and let my Dr. know I want to wait until at least 42 weeks.

Mamaw/2-He is having me get an NST test because of the decrease in movement I have noticed.

Stacyann21- They explained to me that if you notice that you haven't felt baby move in awhile to have a snack lay down and count mov't. The actual number has varied from 4-10/hour depending on what practitioner I have talked to. Also if it takes a little more than an hour they say that is okay. I usually have to poke lightly at my belly to wake her up and then she moves around a bit and settles down. I always feel bad, like I am not letting her rest. I don't think they actually move four times and hour every hour of the day but should if you have something sweet and rest and pay attention(theoretically). It is confusing to me becuase they say that they are sleeping 90% of the day-so how are they supposed to move that much?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Quote:

It is confusing to me becuase they say that they are sleeping 90% of the day-so how are they supposed to move that much?
Yeah, that confuses me too, I don't think I felt my DS move at all the last, like, month!! This one moves 3-4 times a day, but a LOT when it does happen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts