Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Thanks for sharing. That's a powerful story. I cry for her missed childhood (and so much more). :(

Reactions: teacozy

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for sharing. That's a powerful story. I cry for her missed childhood (and so much more). :(
I thought her link from the WHO was particularly interesting since we hear all the time "Why do we need to keep vaccinating for Polio? It's so rare."

From the WHO:

As long as a single child remains infected, children in all countries are at risk of contracting polio. Failure to eradicate polio from these last remaining strongholds could result in as many as 200 000 new cases every year, within 10 years, all over the world.
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs114/en/

That's why.

Her last paragraph pretty much sums it up:

Recently, someone pointed out to me that natural immunity is preferable to any vaccine at all based on a false belief that disease strengthens the immune system. Vaccine preventable diseases continue to kill millions of people every year around the world. And just speaking personally, yes, I am immune to polio, but the damage it did was hardly worth it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is such an important story.
It can be easy to get lost in the numbers - staggering numbers - not just the mortality rate, but every single sweet child locked up in a hospital for months on end.

I am so glad that we don't have to face that in first world countries.
It is simply staggering that some don't see the connection - vaccination works.

Reactions: artume______
1 - 4 of 4 Posts