Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any personal experience with a clavicle fracture?

My poor little guy fell down the stairs today and he has a mild clavicle fracture. That goodness that is all! It could have been much worse!

From my understanding this is a pretty common childhood injury and isn't too bad healing… He has a sling to wear for a bit and while he has been willing to wear it so far the doctor said it wasn't a huge deal if he refused. So far so good though.

He doesn't seem to be in that much pain unless the area is touched, specifically when I pick him up under his arm pit. He isn't using that arm much at all, it was just hanging there before the sling was put on. DS also says he can't nurse because the side he likes to nurse from puts his left side (the fracture) is in an uncomfortable position for him

Any suggestions or personal experience? I feel so bad that he is in any pain at all, he was such a trooper though!

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Clavicle, that's collarbone, right? (j/k)

My sister broke hers twice, once when she was jumping on the bed and slipped off, the other time she was going down a water slide- went up too high and got 'stuck' on a dry part of the slide.

She recovered nicely- she had to wear a brace the 2nd time to keep her shoulders back and they adjusted it a few times. She said it only hurt when they were making the adjustments.

I've never had a broken bone myself, so I have no other suggestions - maybe somethign for the pain if it seems to bother him and some creative positioning to make nursing more comfortable.

Good luck for a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
My DSD broke his 2 years ago (jumping over a girl he was trying to impress lol - tho he got the sympathy vote so it worked!) it healed great.

Just wanted to suggest Arnica and Symphytum homeopathics, the former for initial trauma and pain, the latter to speed up bone healing.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

I will go to the HFS tomorrow to pick up those remedies. Actually, I think I may have some arinca (topical right?) around… If not would it still be worth getting tomorrow or would I have to start right away?

From what I have read it seems like younger child have easier and faster healing of this fracture than older kids and adults. His is pretty small too, so that helps.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Hi there

I think it would be worth getting tomorrow, and the topical might help in the meantime too. Hope he feels better soon. Maybe you can come up with some creative nursing positions too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.