Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What gives? I have a Pump In Style Advanced. I pretty much solely pump and bottle feed as I work full-time; we occasionally get a feed in together at night or on the weekend, and my breasts feel all-the-way empty after she eats - no hard spots. (I have family in town right now to watch her so I've been working long hours, pretty much the whole time she's awake.)

I almost always use lanolin before I pump, as my LC said it helps (and it also keeps the milk from dribbling from the bottom of the breast shield). I've started doing compressions and breast massage (rubbing the harder spots on my breasts) every time I pump and it's like the milk never stops coming out. I end up pumping for like 30 minutes each time - I thought I was supposed to pump until 2-5 minutes after the last drop of milk? - and 1) my nipples are starting to kill and 2) there are still hard spots all over my breasts after I pump and if I squeeze milk still comes out.

But with all that, I'm only pumping 0.75-2oz. per pump, total both sides, so she's only getting less than half breastmilk. How will I ever increase my supply if the pump, which is pretty much my full-time breast-emptyer, isn't getting all the milk out?

Other than ensuring it's all assembled properly (which I'm near 100% certain it is), any ideas? I know the pump is AS efficient, but shouldn't it be emptying better than this?

· Registered
44 Posts
A few thoughts.

The white membranes on the valves are supposed to replaced after a period of time (not sure how often). If they are too loose you could be compromising suction.

Do you have water or condensation in the tubes? This can also be a problem with suction.

How old is your pump?

Are you using batteries? If so, make sure that they are fresh.

Good luck!!

· Registered
84 Posts
I was noticing that I wasn't pumping as much as I have in the past (6 mo now of EPing) when I had to call Medela on my PISA due to suction issues. I did not realize how much suction I had lost until I plugged in my battery pack. It turns out I had a bad cord. So make sure you are getting great suction and I would use the lanolin after, in fact, I have had a problem with dry nipples so I make sure I use lanolin everyday but I only use it at nite. REALLY good suction in the key. I find if I tip myself forward gravity takes care of the milk getting straight down to the bottles. I haven't replaced those white pieces yet but now I'm going to look into that!

· Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny...I punched a little hole in one of the membranes today at work...the pump didn't work at ALL. I mean NO suction. I taped it up till I got home and luckily had a replacement membrane (my last one!) but it showed me how important those buggers are.

Interesting about the cord - I noticed it was slightly stronger, like a little teensy bit, when I used the battery pack.

The pump is brand spanking new - got it in December after a month on the Symphony. I run it after every use there could be water in the tubes (i.e., the parts are wet) to keep the hoses dry.

The suction appears to be fine, as I can go somewhat hands-free while I'm pumping. Breast shields are the right size (I went from 24 straight through to 36 before settling). Ugh.

· Registered
84 Posts
How do you do hands free? I cut small slits in my bra to stick the cones thru. You can call Medela and they can troubleshoot some things for you. They were very helpful to me, no sense of humor, but very helpful. I get condensation in my tubing all the time, I don't feel that it has affected anything for me.

· Premium Member
14,037 Posts
Some people just don't do well with a pump... have you tried hand expression?

· Registered
2,167 Posts
Are you having a let down? I only get that much unless I have a good let down and then I get several ounces. Sometimes I have to zone out and think about ds and think about his sweet baby smell and then the flood gates open

· Registered
2,969 Posts
Have you tried a hospital grade pump? It sounds like you're basically exclusively pumping, yes?

I have a pump in style as well and while it works well for occasional pumping, it doesn't even compare to the Lactina or the other hospital grade pump. I can say from experience that I got at least twice as much pumping with the hospital pump vs. the pump in style.

· Registered
161 Posts
I had a similar problem recently where I was barely getting an ounce from each side and my breasts still felt full. I was getting alot of clogged ducts too. I started to notice more and more that the suction was inconsistent. I found the original instructions and it said to ensure that the four corners of the faceplate were snapped into place properly before the first use. I had a loose corner that snapped into place when I started pressing firmly down on it. The difference was amazing and my supply is back to normal again. I check it now just about every time I use it because I shuffle it back and forth to work each day and my toddler also messes with it when I'm not looking. I hope you figure out the problem soon. It definitely sounds like a problem with the pump.

· Registered
148 Posts
I have replaced the membranes, back plate, etc on my Medela Freestyle several times, and the motor is brand new because I had a problem with mine and it was replaced. I have never replaced the tubing though, and I have been using it 3 or 4 times a day for over a year. I assumed I was getting good suction because I see and feel my nipples being pulled into the horn. For those who weren't getting good suction, were your nipples being pulled appropriately? Could I still not be getting as much suction as necessary? My supply has dropped from 20 to 15 ounces a day in the past few months. I assumed it was just due to DD getting older, but I want to make sure.

· Registered
161 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey-lamb View Post
I have replaced the membranes, back plate, etc on my Medela Freestyle several times, and the motor is brand new because I had a problem with mine and it was replaced. I have never replaced the tubing though, and I have been using it 3 or 4 times a day for over a year. I assumed I was getting good suction because I see and feel my nipples being pulled into the horn. For those who weren't getting good suction, were your nipples being pulled appropriately? Could I still not be getting as much suction as necessary? My supply has dropped from 20 to 15 ounces a day in the past few months. I assumed it was just due to DD getting older, but I want to make sure.
IME, I couldn't tell that the pump wasn't working as well as it could. It appeared to be suctioning just fine. But when I found the problem with my pump and corrected it, the suction was quicker and stronger. I also immediately starting getting more milk out. The milk was dribbling out before and now it sprays out like its supposed to.

· Registered
248 Posts
I just had this issue. Last November I went from 6 ounces total to 4, then 3 then 2. My 'helper's all thought it was me. My AF did return. I started taking herbs, drinking tea, dark beer, lots of oatmeal, acupuncture and still no increase. Then at work for three days in a row I got nothing in the afternoon session. I replaced the membranes and tube and no improvement. I rented a Lactina from my hospital and the suction was incredibly different - much stronger. I am now back to getting 4 ounces per session. I think the motor in my (used) pump N style was getting weaker. I did not replace the power cord.

And Yes, my nipples were always getting pulled into the horns, everything looked normal, it just wasn't sucking as hard and it was getting weaker and weaker. I suspected the pump as I was feeling still full even though the pump was not getting any more milk out.

Cheryllynn
mom to Olivia, 9 months

· Registered
176 Posts
Hi Ladies,

V interesting thread so I wanted to jump in as a first time nursing mom. When I pump I don't always get milk, but this should like if I'm nursing full time that I should be. Is that the case? I had VERY low milk supply due to a lot of blood lose after labor. I worked with my LC and we used the supplemental feeder. I also rented a hospital grade pump but it was costing me 40 dollars a week. i have the Medela Freestyle. Not terribly impressed with it, but I don't know any different or better. I use it at least 4 times a day. So back to the original question, should I be getting milk every time?

Baby crying. . .off to comfort my DD.

Thanks in advance,
lelle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.