Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do I do??? We've got two female rabbits living in a hutch w/a separate little box sitting in there for them to go into for sleeping/privacy/hiding. I expected that they'd poop in the corner of the main part of the hutch. Some would drop through the bottom and the rest would form a "heap" in the corner. I thought that wouldn't be so bad to scoop out and put on the compost pile. Yeah, well, they're pooping inside the box. It's the most disgusting job to clean out. I've tried putting cedar shavings and newspaper in there to help w/the clean up. That almost seems to make it worse. Those things make the urine smell unbearable.

What do I do?? TIA!

·
Registered
940 Posts
I suppose this would be me officially de-lurking...

Your bunnies are making it clear where they would like to poop. I think the best solution would be to work with their inclination and give them a litterbox. Rabbits produce two kinds of poop: the hard, dry "cocoa puffs" and large, soft pellets known as "cecotrophs". Rabbits have to eat the cecotrophs to maintain proper bacteria balance in their gut, and so they can't afford to have them falling through the wire. That's most likely why they've chosen to use the box.

My suggestion: if you want to encourage them to poop/pee in a certain spot, place a hay rack nearby. Something about the munching gets their system moving and...well, you know
So maybe you can get them a seperate box for their duties and hang a hay rack above it to reinforce where they should be going potty.

Oh and, cedar shavings = bad. They're toxic to small animals, don't ever, ever use them. Or pine shavings either, for that matter. For composting, Aspen shavings or a pelleted horse bedding, like Woody Pet or Equine Pine, would be good choices.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Emily--wow!! You came out of hiding for me and my bunnies!! Thank you!!

I'll try the hack rack thing. Otherwise I was thinking I'd have my dh make me a different box for them to go in so at least it would have hinges and it'd clean up easier.

I think they're cedar shavings that we bought at the farm store for their bedding. It was even sold as bedding for rabbits/guinea pigs. Smells like cedar, but I guess I didn't check. I will now.

Thanks again!

Anyone else?

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
I agree with the previous poster. It sounds like your bunnies are trying to tell you where they like to poop. I got my (now deceased) mini lop a bunny condo. He loved the condo but wouldn't poop in his litterbox which btw was filled with recycled paper litter. He would pee and poop in a different spot. A few times I saw him nudge the triangular shaped litter box with his face. He seemed almost angry. Finally, a light bulb went off in my head.
I realized he preferred the other spot so I moved the litter box there. Lo and behold he didn't poop outside the box again.

Cedar and pine aren't good for bunnies. I don't know why feed stores and pet stores carry it. It supposedly causes cancer in bunnies. Clay litter is bad too. If clay litter is ingested it can lead to a lot of calcium in the urine. I much prefer the recycled newspaper litter. It's much softer and better for the environment. I know Pet's Discount Stores carry it. They come in large bags that last for a good long while. I believe the brands are Carefresh and Yesterday's News.

Besides the hay idea mentioned you could put a bit of their poop and pee inside the new litter box when you do get it. They'll smell their business in there and realize that's where they need to go. This is assuming you put it in a spot that they want as their potty.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So maybe this is a stupid question, but do you think even if I scrubbed out the box they're in now (or if I get a new one) and moved it to the other side of the hutch that that would solve my problem?

I cleaned out the box now that I'd laid newspaper in. Ick!!! That can't be healthy to live in that.

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
That might solve the problem. I would clean it very well to get rid of the smell. I think vinegar neutralizes the bunny pee.

You know you *could* put hay (a good hay like timothy hay) in the box. They can eat and poop at the same time. I know it sounds gross.
But actually it's not really bad for them to poop in there. The House Rabbit Book suggests this approach. You'll just have to change the hay regularly.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BookGoddess
That might solve the problem. I would clean it very well to get rid of the smell. I think vinegar neutralizes the bunny pee.

You know you *could* put hay (a good hay like timothy hay) in the box. They can eat and poop at the same time. I know it sounds gross.
But actually it's not really bad for them to poop in there. The House Rabbit Book suggests this approach. You'll just have to change the hay regularly.
Well I'm a huge fan of cleaning w/vinegar so I know it can work miracles!! I'll do it tomorrow. I think my dh should be able get me some hay too. I've been wanting some for the goats too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.