Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share a few of my responses to the objections I heard when we left our son intact:

"But it's too hard for a little boy to keep clean/it's unhygienic"
-So I'll help him keep it clean...and by the time he is too old to have his parents helping him wash, I don't think that he will need any help paying attention to his penis in the shower....besides, little girls have more complex external genitalia, and no one questions their ability to wash properly.

"But it looks weird/different"
-I'll just teach him to use it as a way to judge who he should be intimate with...if a potential partner gets freaked out because he is intact, then that person has seen *way* too many penises and he should probably stay away!

"

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VanessaS View Post
Do you mean to say that people are still circumcizing their sons?
: I don't think I've ever met anybody in Europe who did this. Although I guess some Jewish people do it.
You're in Europe that's why. America is circ-happy.

·
Banned
2,832 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamalibby View Post
Just wanted to share a few of my responses to the objections I heard when we left our son intact:

"But it's too hard for a little boy to keep clean/it's unhygienic"
-So I'll help him keep it clean...and by the time he is too old to have his parents helping him wash, I don't think that he will need any help paying attention to his penis in the shower....besides, little girls have more complex external genitalia, and no one questions their ability to wash properly.

"But it looks weird/different"
-I'll just teach him to use it as a way to judge who he should be intimate with...if a potential partner gets freaked out because he is intact, then that person has seen *way* too many penises and he should probably stay away!

"
I don't care for both responses.
First kind of agrees that it is hard/harder to care for an intact penis vs. circ'd (which is totally untrue). And the second one presents sex (sexual life) as something dirty and sinful which is absolutely horrible, IMO. Why don't you just say the facts instead, they are much more laud.
yulia.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VanessaS View Post
Do you mean to say that people are still circumcizing their sons?
: I don't think I've ever met anybody in Europe who did this. Although I guess some Jewish people do it.
Yup, it's crazy Americans that have tons of misconceptions. I see you are moving to the States, I will warn you that many doctors will try to retract your son's foreskin even if it isn't retractable yet. You have to be really careful and if a doc EVER has to look at your son's penis, make sure you state that they are not to retract

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yulia_R View Post
I don't care for both responses.
First kind of agrees that it is hard/harder to care for an intact penis vs. circ'd (which is totally untrue). And the second one presents sex (sexual life) as something dirty and sinful which is absolutely horrible, IMO. Why don't you just say the facts instead, they are much more laud.
yulia.
I see your point, but I don't think mine was clear.I didn't get to finish my post (DS woke up),and I posted accidentally...these are a few of the smart aleck responses I gave to family members who objected after I gave them all the facts and they couldn't come up with any real reasonable why they still thought we should circ. On principle, I think it is wrong to pander to more "mainstream" people, but in reality, I have to deal with family forever and might have to "soften" the truth or make pithy remarks to help them accept how we parent....In my experience, a lot of people simply cannot believe the truth (especially about something like circ) because it is so awful and disgusting...they think that it wouldn't happen if it was really that bad, better to think people like DH and I are just crazy liberal nutjobs...I give the real reasons, but I think that responses like these helped put their objections into perspective...After all, I am pretty sure boys keep their penises clean and I really don't think my family needs to worry about how my son's future girlfriends or boyfriends will respond to his penis. I also told them that if he gets older and thinks we made the wrong decision, I will pay for the procedure and take care of him through his recovery and let him miss as much school as he wants...when they said "oh, it's too painful for a teenager or adult to go through" I just pointed out that it wasn't any less painful for a helpless baby to experience, and they don't know why they it is happening to them.

It was really meant to be a "light" post, I didn't mean to offend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.