Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grrrrrrrrr. On my son's contact card at school, the have the following contacts IN THIS ORDER, in the event that they need to reach me.

My home phone
My cell phone (which is also listed as my WORK PHONE, and therefore should supercede my home phone)
My husband's work phone
My mother's home phone and cell
My fathers's personal cell and work landline

But Dear Lord it would take a miracle for these people to ever get ahold of me. Twice this year he's been sick and needed to come home, and both times they've left messages on my home phone and not bothered to call ANY OTHER NUMBERS. My poor kiddo - He was coughing and bit tired this morning, so I told him when I dropped him off morning that if he needed to come home I'd come get him right away, or have his Nana get him if I was still working (I babysit, so I can't always just jump in the car and go get him, today for instance I had my toddler, an infant and 2 older kids, all at someone else's house. Not enough carseats to go around and can you imagine me traipsing through the school hallways with that in tow??). They called at 12:15, left a message and when I got home at 1:15 and got the message, I felt terrible. They said "well, his temp was only 100.5, so we really didn't consider it worthy of tracking you down".

NOT my fault he's contaminated his entire kindergarten class. Gosh darn it, my kid needed to come home and they made him stay in school all day long just b/c they didn't want to run down the phone list to reach me. He wasn't even laying down on the cot in the office - he'd been sent back to his classroom because they didn't think he "looked sick". 100.5 degree temp, cough, runny nose and lethargic = SEND HIM HOME. RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By the time he got home (school dismisses at 2pm, I didn't have time to load the toddler into the car and get to school before the buses loaded, so he had to ride home), he was a mess.

He's got CROUP of all things, and a 101 degree temp. We did go to the dr., which I don't normally do, b/c he's been under the weather for a while and I was concerned about bronchitis. Thankfully, a good sit on the front steps in the evening air, followed by a hot humid bath has soothed things a great deal, but he's still tired and coughy and just ick. He cried when he got home = "mommy, you promised you'd come get me if I'm sick, why did you make me stay there?". He had horrible coughing fits all day long that were just awful. I cannot believe they didn't try harder to reach me.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I'd be pretty angry. And I'd be on the phone or, even better, at the school Monday to see to it that they make a notation on your son's contact card that if your child wants you for ANY REASON that they are to try EVERY phone number on that list and leave messages each place.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm still pretty ticked. He was miserable on Friday evening, I even took him to the dr, which I NEVER do, just to be sure it wasn't something more than croup. I really don't understand why they didn't try harder to reach me. He was sick, for crying out loud.

Bah. He'll be fine in another few days I'm sure, and croup isn't a major deal, really. He's just a k'er though, and still such a sensitive little guy. He loves school, and we got lucky and got the best k teacher in the school, I think anyway. I hate to keep finding out little things like this that eat away at my confidence in the school overall.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would throw an absolute FIT!! I'd also make sure that all parents possible in his room knew that their kid had been exposed to it and WHY. That is unacceptable. I think I'd also just remove my home phone number from their contact sheet - that way they have no choice but to call your cell. But this is the 2nd time it's happened? That is so wrong I don't even have the words.... I'm sorry! I hope he feels better soon!

K.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.