Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>We told my family that I am 5 weeks on Saturday.  I was very clear that we were only telling family until after we hear a heart beat.  I am 37, my husband is in his 60's, we are going to get enough flack over this and I did not want to have to go through all the "ribbing" only to have a very public loss.  Our community is VERY small (not even a grocery store or a red light in our town) and our church is one where everyone knows everyone's business.  Not a bad thing really but I am having a very hard time believing I am pregnant and will keep it - it seems to amazingly wonderful to be true.  So, yesterday, right in the middle of Wal mart, my brother told a family friend that I am pregnant.  Not a close family friend, someone we grew up knowing from church.  So, by Sunday, it is going to be ALL OVER TOWN.  I am just not ready to deal with the questions and comments.  From my brother and cousins, sure, but not the whole community.  Ugg.</p>

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
<p>Oh mama, I'm so sorry your brother took it upon himself to do that. Is he just excited and happy for you? I am hopeful, from the way that you described your town, that even if the worst happens that will be supportive and helpful. I would imagine that its very comforting to have community support during a loss. I know the ribbing will suck, but I hope if worst comes to worst, they will all step up and be there. I hope you don't have to find out how they will react. May the comments end soon, and I hope that your pregnancy is wonderful and problem free.</p>

Reactions: javilu

·
Registered
112 Posts
<p>Hugs to you!  My experience with small, southern communities is that they can be "funny" about things and then super supportive after their initial reaction.  We live in a small, southern, very quirky, coastal town that has about 7000 people total.  There's not going to be any way to keep it a secret for very long.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Wishing you a safe and healthy pregnancy.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>BTW, my DH is 50 and I'm just shy of 38, so I know what you are going through.  As my DH put it, James Taylor was 60 when he had his twins.  Also, a about 8 years ago, I met Charles Neville and he was in his late 60's (at the youngest) and had a 3 month old baby.</p>

·
Registered
325 Posts
<p>That sucks! I am sorry, I would be so mad at him. But don't worry too much about the comments, they would have commented at any time they found out.</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts