Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my son, nicky, is in kindergarten. he has a compromised immune system and has some health issues but hes okay. however, he had a the flu really bad. he was in the hospital, and he had a fever over a 100 even. he got better and was discharged from the hospital after 9 days. i kept him home with me two more days, but he told me he was feeling okay for school cuz he misses his cousin and best friend. i took him, which was a big mistake on my part. he is childhood diabetes (not from obesity, he was born with it) and he has to visit the school nurse three times a day and after lunch. i got a call from the school that he had fainted. i went to get him and he told me he had felt miserable all day long and that when he went to nurse after school he asked to call me (the school knew that he had just recovered from being in the hospital, and i told him if he doesent feel good call me), and that she had told him no, he cant call home. and then he went back to the cafeteria and thats where he fainted. i was livid, and i called the school nurse who wants to play miss innocent, saying she doesent let kids call home because theyre just trying to get out of school. my kid never lies and the nurse really didnt deny it. i dont know what to do. do i need to give my 5 year old a cell phone?? or pull him out of that dumb school.

·
Premium Member
7,713 Posts
Probably something in between would be helpful. Pulling him out of the school seems like a big move. Could you arrange for a meeting to go over the health issues with the team and develop accommodations if needed? If his health issues are significant enough that they could potentially get in the way of learning (such as through many missed days, etc) he might be able to have a plan in place that outlines his needs more concretely and the accommodations necessary to meet those needs. Sounds like it was a routine school policy that was just 'over applied' in his case. Meet with the nurse, the principal, the teacher and outline his needs and make a plan for going forward.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Other than that one incident. do you like the school? Does he?

Did he faint from sugar issues or over the flu?

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Since he is only in kindergarten, I think you should send a note every time he is not a 100% saying that if he is not feeling well and asks to call home, please do so. The letter should go to the principal's office, the nurse and the class teacher. That was what I did when dd was that age. She could not articulate things and I wanted them to keep an eye on her.

I know I wouldn't trust my child in the hands of a nurse that I've already had an issue with. Possibly, an informal chat with the nurse might help where you inform her that you'd like to have a meeting where the principal is also present and that everyone is on the same page about your child.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably something in between would be helpful. Pulling him out of the school seems like a big move. Could you arrange for a meeting to go over the health issues with the team and develop accommodations if needed? If his health issues are significant enough that they could potentially get in the way of learning (such as through many missed days, etc) he might be able to have a plan in place that outlines his needs more concretely and the accommodations necessary to meet those needs. Sounds like it was a routine school policy that was just 'over applied' in his case. Meet with the nurse, the principal, the teacher and outline his needs and make a plan for going forward.
It might be a big move but my son's health is even bigger. He already has a plan in place, that's part of the reason I was upset. Like I said in my original post, she said that she thought he was just trying to get out of school. Thanks for ur reply though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since he is only in kindergarten, I think you should send a note every time he is not a 100% saying that if he is not feeling well and asks to call home, please do so. The letter should go to the principal's office, the nurse and the class teacher. That was what I did when dd was that age. She could not articulate things and I wanted them to keep an eye on her.

I know I wouldn't trust my child in the hands of a nurse that I've already had an issue with. Possibly, an informal chat with the nurse might help where you inform her that you'd like to have a meeting where the principal is also present and that everyone is on the same page about your child.

Good luck.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Does your son have an IEP? If not he needs one that states clearly if he goes to the school nurse she needs to call you. Have you spoken to the school's principal? I would, and I would formally complain. If this is a public school, that nurse should be in a whole lot of trouble. Does check his blood sugar when he goes to see her? If she does, and she neglected to do so when he told her he felt ill, she was negligent. I am sorry this happened to the little fella!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.