Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't even posted about it here, as far as I know, but I'm incredibly excited that she didn't do it. I talked to her a lot about it, as soon as I found out she was having a boy. I sent her tons of info and basically didn't leave her alone until she said she wasn't going to do it. She's a single mom and the father isn't involved, so that probably helped, since I know he's circ'ed. (She told me - not because I have intimate knowledge of the father.
) I told her to watch out for docs and nurses who may want to retract and she had her eagle eye on them the whole time she was at the hospital. I was her support person for the birth, so I was there and thrilled when the delivery nurse said, "If it's a boy, do you want him circumcised?" and my sister sat up in the middle of a contraction and screamed "NO!" in a very "don't you dare touch my child's penis" tone of voice.

Anyway, I just wanted to share because I knew people here would care, cause very few people in my real life do.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Yay! What a good job!

I hope I can make that much of a difference when my best friend gets pregnant. I've already started talking about it....Her DH says they need to circ because other kids will make fun of him in the locker room if they don't. You know how many times we have heard THAT argument.
:

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
: always good to get this kind of news.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
Woo hoo, another boy's genital integrity protected.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeannie81 View Post
good job! don't forget to give her the drill on peds and retraction... keep up the good work!
I have told her in depth about it. I linked her to this forum, also, saying that she should check here if he ever had any type of penis problems or anyone ever recommended retracting him or circing for infections or whatever. I told her ya'll were the experts.

I was at her house when the hospital's visiting nurse came to check on her and the baby a few days later. I was extremely irritated that the nurse didn't even ask if he was circumcised, just assumed he was. She said, "And how's his circumcision healing up?" Fortunately, my sister handled it quite nicely. She said, "He's not circumcised," to the nurse and "Mommy just thinks that's a mean, horrible thing to do, right baby?" to her baby. She does live in St. Louis and I know circ rates there are high, but still, 20% of Midwestern babies are not circed, so the nurse shouldn't have assumed he was and she shouldn't be asking that question before asking, because that just frames it in a way that might make some people feel like they were supposed to have done it or something.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post
Anyway, I just wanted to share because I knew people here would care, cause very few people in my real life do.
: so sad and true. My husband and mom really understand me, but I feel others just do not "get it."

So happy you saved the sweet baby

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
one by one...

Good job, mama!

·
Registered
410 Posts
That's great!

It also makes me so sad because my sister is my best friend and I did absolutely everything I possibly could, no holds barred, and she and bil still circ'd. I gave her all the best info., sent her to the sites which addressed their "reasons", discussed it for hours until we were both in tears, had my dh (an MD) tell her that it should be illegal . . . Once, she shouted that I was trying to say that I loved her baby more than she did and hung up on me. I still kept gently trying.

Sorry--didn't mean to bring the thread down. It's just so hard. If only I could have made them see
: .

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Yay for your new nephew
:
:
:
:

BTW this also happened with us

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post
I was extremely irritated that the nurse didn't even ask if he was circumcised, just assumed he was. She said, "And how's his circumcision healing up?"
first leaving the hospital they kept trying to give me circ'd care instuctions. Then DS need very minor surgery and every person in all of the doctors offices kept reasuring us how it was a simpler procedure than the circ they just assumed we had subjected him to.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Quote:
I was her support person for the birth, so I was there and thrilled when the delivery nurse said, "If it's a boy, do you want him circumcised?" and my sister sat up in the middle of a contraction and screamed "NO!" in a very "don't you dare touch my child's penis" tone of voice.
What nerve of the nurse to ask a laboring woman a question like that. It ticks me off to no end that they trick mothers into consenting to procedures by asking when they are not in their best frame of mind. I know I would have signed my life away during labor...I signed every form they gave me (another reason I'm homebirthing this time around).

Good for your sister for having her wits about her and good for you for educating her in the first place. I love hearing positive stories like this!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts