Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I was in the kitchen while my 18 month old was playing in the adjoining dining room. I heard him cough, and looked up to fin him dropping a piece of cat feces. He then pointed to a pile of it on the floor. SO I wiped off his hands with vinegar and water and looked into and around his mouth but couldn't find any trace of it--so maybe he didn't actually eat it (I hope). After I cleaned him up, I went to clean up the mess in the dining room. We have 2 cats, I don't know which one did it, or why. I called the ped. to find out if I should have anything done for my son, and he said not as long as the cats are healthy. Problem is, if they pooped outside of the litter box, that can be a sign thawt they are not healthy. I will call the vet when they open, but I don't even know which cat to take in. Taking our older cat to the vet is a trauma for him and it takes him days to recover. Still, I'd rather be sure my son is goin g to be OK. Any advice?

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much, the common reasons for pooping outside of the box are not harmful or passable to humans, the only thing you may want to do to be ultra safe is to take the stool sample left in the dining room in for a fecal exam--I wouldn't worry about dragging the cats in, just take the poop, if it comes back wormy, worm both cats (cause if one has them they both do probably) then you have to ascertain whether there's a chance your ds could have worms as a result, but it's VERY unlikely.

The grossness factor though.....I've so been there!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts