Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so it was a mediumish sized indoor waterpark at the YMCA, and there were only four other people in the water besides my four kids, but still.
I need help with swim diapers.

Is there a swim diaper that will truly hold in poop without leaving deep red marks? I haven't found one, but I haven't tried everything either. I've used cloth swim diapers from Lands' End and Target, disposable swim diapers, and AIO covers from my diaper stash. All leak poop IME. My son does not have solid poo, it is more the peanut butter style which I am sure does not help. The water gently seeps in, the poo water gently seeps out. Ick.

And as a related question, how do you clean up the baby (I leave the pool to the staff) and his poo-filled swim diaper? I always seem to end up in the shower, rinsing the baby, the diaper and the shower stall really well. I still feel sorry for the unsuspecting patron who uses the shower stall next. And my experience has convinced me to wear shower flip-flops.

Please, give me advice, I beg you.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Oh gosh, I would be so emberassed. LOL

What I use is a bummis sww that is no longer waterproof, under swim trunks. But he's never pooped in the pool. I figure he wouldnt poop whne he is busy playing, LOL he saves it for later.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Oh momma! So sorry! I use to work for the Y and would take elemantary kids swimming during the summer and one summer it happened way too many times. To this day, I dislike swimming with kids no matter what age.

As far as clean up I would talk to the staff and see if you can have a mop and bucket waiting for when you were out of the shower. More than likely they'll swap it down for ya.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Those nylon ones that you pull on have never failed me. The bad thing is that if they poop in them they're horrible to get off without making a mess. You can borrow my Kushies to try if you want, I believe that Alex did poop in it once and didn't leak. He's only pooped in his swim diaper a couple of times and it did leak once. I can't remember which one that was though, it may have been a diaper cover. I have a bunch of different swim dipes so you can borrow whatever you want.

As far disposeable ones, the Luvs are the best, but I've never seen them in stores, only gotten them from my friend who's dh works at Procter.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the sympathy and ideas guys.

I talked to the aquatics director today, that helped too. He said that they have accidents like this 2-3 times a WEEK, it drives him nuts but no one knows what to do about it. He didn't even know that there were cloth swim diapers available. He also said that disposable swim diapers need to be changed every 20 MINUTES to work effectively, the materials break down from the chlorine. That is crazy!

Jenny, I'll send you an email. odenata, I'm going to look into Imse Vimse. Frogger, I love your idea of asking the staff to come in and swab out the shower stall when we are done, it is so simple why didn't I think of it? On yeah, I was busy being embarrassed.
Silly me.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QSM, that is one of the strategies I've tried as well. Last night I used an unstuffed pocket. I've tried AIO shells too. Effective on land, not so effective in the water.

I've been thinking about this more. I am no longer convinced that a diaper can prevent fecal contamination in the pool. Big chunks, yes. But if pool water can get in, then poo water can get out. The inside of the diapers are always wet when I remove them. Jack's stools are soft, so when he poops at the pool the water makes them mushier and I get drippy, sloppy leaks.

Sorry, TMI I know, but this is driving me nuts. We like to swim when it is cooler outside, it is a good family activity for us. But it isn't worth the effort if we have to leave (with everyone else) 10 minutes after we arrive.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
WE actually used a fitted with no cover...it worked so much better then anything else. We used Kissaluvs b/c they wer (realitively) inexpensive and I don;t care if they get ruined

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
I'm so sorry!! I had a bad experience with a swim diaper, too! My dd was older and her poop was formed, but it was a mess getting it off of her. It made poop soup inside the diaper.

I would suggest something made with terry to hold the poop in place, and then put a waterproof cover over it, even some Gerber plastic pants would hold it all in well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.